When the Mac sleeps...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ArmyKnight12, Sep 14, 2007.

1. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Once i start up my mac from sleep mode, and try to open up a webpage it says I am not connected. In reality I am using an ethernet connection. After a few mins, my homepage finally opens. Are there any ways to fix this, like once i return from sleep, can I automatically start browsing the web without waiting like two or three mins? Any suggestions would be great. :apple:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you really mean 2-3 minutes (as in 120-180 seconds) or do you mean 5-8 seconds? At least with wireless connections, there can be a pause of about 5 seconds as the computer is getting re-connected to the network. That's normal. Waiting 3 minutes is not normal.

What is on the other end of the ethernet cable, and how is the network configured?

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

For me, wired connectivity is up basically as soon as I can fire up a browser.
    For wireless, it usually takes 4 or 5 seconds.

There is probably something you can do to improve it, although it may depend on your security settings, etc. I don't have WPA enabled, mainly actually just using MAC filtering since my signal doesn't extend much beyond my house.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

This has recently started happening to me on my Intel Mini. I've got mine connected with an Ethernet cable to my router, same as my iMac. The rest of my network is working fine (Vonage phone, Linksys WAP, HP Printer, NAS disk). I don't get the problem on my iMac, but my Mini will not connect to my home page for maybe 30-40 seconds (feels like a couple of minutes). I'm using Safari on both systems, but the Mini is running Safari 3, and the iMac is running Safari 2. I need to do some more experimentation using, say, Camino on the Mini to eliminate Safari as the culprit, but I also sometimes get Mail problems when I wake the Mini from sleep, with Mail thinking my accounts are offline and displaying a warning triangle next to the accounts. A reboot hasn't helped the situation. I figure I'll be upgrading to Leopard in a few weeks so it's no biggie until then if I can't fix it.

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

On my powerbook it takes 15 secs max, on my ancient iMac it takes about 20 secs max.