When the Motevina Macbook Pro does come out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ebonics, May 1, 2008.

1. ebonics macrumors member

So looking at the past it's pretty clear that Apple has a lot of problems with the first revisions of a new product, and almost use early adopters and Beta-Testers to work out the kinks.

To the people who have had this problem, my question is this; does Apple readily replace the Macbooks Pro's that they sold to you to use as Beta-Testers?

Because i don't really need the computer right now, so I'd definately wait until I buy my first Macbook Pro. I don't mind the problems (well i do but it wouldn't stop me from buying the computer) if Apple replaces or fixes the computer when and if they occur.
    Also reading the forums it seems every Macbook Pro almost has these problems with I know probably isn't the case. So I don't know if anyone would actually know this, but how common are these problems?

2. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

What problems are you referring to? You didn't mention any in your post. I've had my MBP for about 6 months or so and I can't think of any major issues.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i have a what you would call "beta" version of the santa rosa mbp (bought it june 29th) and its fine, as are most others out there, infact i think besides the LED screens NO major (any?) problems when santa rosa came out and i think we expect the same for motevina

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't remember seeing the sign up to beta test Apple hardware. How do I join?

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i agree, if there was a beta program that would be awesome

especially if membership was free and you got heavily discounted hardware...not talking about ADC

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Actually, I believe he is referring to Rev. A products. Hence, your Rev. C SR MBP will not count. In the case of the MBP, that would be the initial Core Duo MBPs

7. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

I didn't mean anything specific, just generally the problems people refer to on the forums, also on the Macbook Pro wikipedia page some of the problems are listed, i'm not going to go into specific details because it's not important for my question, as those problems might not even occur with the next upgrade/case redesign.

8. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Speaking of Rev A products....the iPhone has been a home run. I really haven't had any major problems with it. A few Safari crashes in the beginning but those have cleared up. If the iPhone is any indication, perhaps their Rev A products have gotten better?

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

no he asked about the motevina MBPs which to our current knowledge is just going to be revision D, so i was just answering his question

well, im glad for you, but safari still crashes on my 1.4 ipod touch

10. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I learned the hard way that it's best to buy a MacBook Pro at the very END of its revision cycle, just before a model update.

MacBook Pro is the only Apple product I've ever had significant trouble with, and it has been a true nightmare scenario for me and a few friends who were also unlucky enough to lust after the MBP. Multiple MacBooks, multiple iMacs, multiple iPods, an iPhone and a MacBook Air --- no problems. MacBook Pro --- fifteen exchanges. Even MBP #16 needed a top case replacement right out of the box, but now it's fine.

I'm very interested in the next MBP revision, but I'll definitely be waiting a good several months before buying one. I've had more than a fair share of the return/exchange/refund/purchase cycle.

11. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

@squeeks
    Actually, following your logic, it would be Rev. E. D was Penryn. C was SR. then B Was the first C2D (2.33 and 2.16GHz) then A was the initilal 1.83 & 2.0GHz. But I believe he might be referring to the rumors of a case redesign, rebooting the progression back to Rev. A

12. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

what i really wanted to know was, do Apple readily replace or fix your problematic computer if you get one with problems, or do you have to battle them?

xpovos after you third/fourth, etc faulty computer were they still as willing to replace/ fix it you you?

13. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Since all of the issues I had were easily reproducible at the Genius Bar, yes, they were very willing to replace (if I was still within the 14-day period) or fix, regardless of the number of exchanges. They were very good-natured about it all, much as I tried to be despite the frustration, and it became something of a running joke: "Sir, how can I help you today? --- Yes, I'd like to purchase a defective MacBook Pro. --- Yes sir. We have a special on explosive batteries today at no extra charge. Would you be interested?"

14. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

What kind of issues were you having with all these different MBP's? I can understand two, three, maybe even four having issues but 16? You must of been really hardcore nitpicking about something or managed to get ahold of the shipment of MBP's that got dropped off the back of a truck lol.

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

my mistake, penryn wasn’t much of an update so i guess i did skip that in my logic

changing what i said earlier though, really motevina will be revision A since i believe its supposed to use a completely new logic board (about half the size if i heard right)

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm confused, are you speculating that you will be buying a defective computer?

17. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Easy. Just buy a first version or major revision of any Apple product and you instantly become a beta-tester.

18. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I think I got the shipment that fell off the truck. I had a couple of faulty logic boards, two explosive batteries within days of purchase, one permanent keyboard and trackpad failure, several horrible and unacceptable displays with multiple dead pixels and miserable backlighting, one extremely warped bottom case, one DOA SuperDrive, one case of extreme display flicker, and the list goes on.

As I said, though, all issues were very noticeable and easily reproduced at the genius bar, so Apple gave me no serious headaches about replacement. The only one with just a minor issue was #16, which I'm still using now, after getting the top and bottom case replaced a couple weeks after purchase. It was wobbling on bottom and creaking on top. Apple was kind enough to replace my perfectly good hard drive with a new, empty, noisy one at no no extra charge during that repair.