When the official iOS 8.1 releases will it update?

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
If I'm on iOS 8.1 beta when the official iOS 8.1 releases in a few weeks will I be able to just update normally from iTunes or OTA?

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Dam I didn't know that. I wouldn't have updated to the beta if I one that because I don't want to lose anything on my phone. I can't just download the 8.1 official and press update while I'm on the beta when it releases?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Dam I didn't know that. I wouldn't have updated to the beta if I one that because I don't want to lose anything on my phone. I can't just download the 8.1 official and press update while I'm on the beta when it releases?

You won't lose anything but you'll have to install it using iTunes.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
No, judging from past releases. When the public 8.1 comes out you will have to restore to it.
Nope, judging by past release 7.1 you will not have to restore and will be able to update over the air. This was widely noted on Macrumors.when 7.1 was released

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1714913

See post 27 and many similar ones that follow it

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
So I can update from the beta to the official 8.1 from iTunes tho by just updating right ? I don't usually do updates thru OTA anyways

enzom21

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
So I can update from the beta to the official 8.1 from iTunes tho by just updating right ? I don't usually do updates thru OTA anyways
No you would restore to the public 8.1 and then restore from your backup.

JonoNZ

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Yes, just use the Option key and click 'Update' in iTunes. Despite what others are saying, they're wrong - no 'Restore' is required. Your data will be retained.

As always, do a backup of your device first, either to iCloud or via iTunes.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Yes, just use the Option key and click 'Update' in iTunes. Despite what others are saying, they're wrong - no 'Restore' is required. Your data will be retained.

I second this. You can move from the 8.1 beta to the 8.1 GM without having to restore your phone by downloading the GM file and installing it as an update. No biggie.

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014

I second this. You can move from the 8.1 beta to the 8.1 GM without having to restore your phone by downloading the GM file and installing it as an update. No biggie.

Thank y'all. I'm really glad I won't have to restore because I don't want to lose anything on my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.