When the OS X Lion Bugfix Update Arrives...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jeffreyk, Aug 15, 2011.

1. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Would anyone know if the OS X Lion download, from the App Store, will include the bugfix or will it be the original .0 release and then you have to do a manual update to the Mac to get the update? Just wondering. Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'm sure it will be just like every other update on the App Store...if you already have Lion, you can download just the update, otherwise you'll download the entire newest version.

4. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

I don't think it will come through the app store, but through normal channels software update.

5. McMack macrumors member

I think the OP is wondering if 10.8.1 will then become the new all-in-one download from the App Store.

I.e., if you have made an installation disk of 10.8.0, you could download Lion again to make a 10.8.1 installation disk.

6. ssn637 macrumors 6502

That would be a real advantage to retail DVD storage if we could download Lion 10.7.1 directly in one package without need for an update. Since a clean installation from the Recovery HD partition downloads the DMG package prior to setup, it's quite possible that the downloaded file would be an integrated version with all the latest updates already included.

7. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Yep, that's it. I was just wondering if Apple would include the bug fix of Lion in the App Store full downloadable version of OS X Lion so you'd have the most current version straight away instead of having to make more than one download to get it updated.

I'm still running Snow Leopard until I get an overall feeling that Lion will not cause issues with my Mac Pro when I eventually download it. I was in the Apple Store this past weekend and had a chance to play with 10.7 for a bit. I like it a lot and would love to have it on my desktop but I cannot afford some of the possible issues some are experiencing by perusing the MacRumors Forums. I'm hoping the length of the time its taking Apple in releasing a bug fix update (coming on to close to 30 days from original release) means they are tackling the majority of issues users are having.

8. 50548 Guest

It has already been reported that OS X updates will be released through Software Update and NOT the App Store.

9. Corridore macrumors newbie

After the Mac OS X Lion fiasco, this is probably the only thing you need to know.

10. rossip macrumors regular

The fact is that no one outside of apple knows if they will update the build on the app store when future updates are released. But if we can use history as a predictor, apple updated snow leopards retail disks from 10.6 to 10.6.3, and Leopard had 4 different retail release versions (10.5, 10.5.1, 10.5.4, 10.5.6). So I think there may be a pretty good chance they'll do the same with lion.

see release history on the wiki links below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Leopard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard

11. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Right. I understand that. But, I was asking once the bug fix was released thru SU then will the OS X Lion Download in the App Store be the original .0 release or will include the updated OS (which would include the bug fix previous released).

12. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

In other words you want to know if the download of Lion will be the updated versions. Yes, when 10.7.1 comes out the download you buy and/or redownload will be 10.7.1. When it becomes 10.7.2. it'll be in the App Store. But if you already have a previous version of 10.7 then you update it via Software Update.

13. basher macrumors 6502

basher

At the risk of being a broken record, only Apple knows.

I would hope that the Lion release stays at .0 so that as updates are issued we would be able to choose whether or not to update.

14. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@Izzy Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at.

@basher A good point. But, I'd rather download from the App Store the .1 release where many of the bugs were fixed so the version I was downloading was the more stable version (assuming the .1 version was, indeed, more stable).

And, yes, of course, only Apple knows the release schedule of their products or what will be in their products before they're released. I get that. That's the way it's always been regarding Apple. The gist of my question had nothing to do with release scheduling or exactly what Apple would include/won't include in their products but what forum members thought in regard to the potential of what may be/may not be in a new OS release after updates had been, well, updated. Of course only Apple knows. Oy.

15. bozzykid macrumors 68020

That isn't known yet. Clearly updates to existing installations will come through Software Update. However, no one but Apple knows how often they will update the full package in the App Store. It's possible they will not update it as regularly as the actual software updates.

16. MikhailT macrumors 601

Nobody wants to redownload 4GB images all the time when they can get 20-200MB updates over SU.

The question is, can Apple push delta updates to the installers? The MAS does support delta updates. So, Apple can push the delta updates to the Lion image/installer in MAS and the installer can then be used to update the Lion systems by detecting the current version and patch the system accordingly.

17. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

So, I suppose my question has seemingly been answered by Apple. After hearing OS X 10.7.1 was released earlier today, I checked the App Store and the OS X Lion download is just the "OS X 10.7" version. No mention in the App Store that the Lion download is 10.7.1.

18. McMack macrumors member

I suppose you'd have to download it to find out, or wait 24 hours to see if Apple update the App Store with more specific info.

Personally I see no contradiction between Apple's statement that updates won't come via the App Store, and 10.7.1 becoming the new App Store version.

New Macs are equipped with the very latest point version of the OS at the time they're manufactured. The same principle applies here, surely. It would be odd for the App Store version not to become 10.7.1.

19. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

You're right, I probably should wait to see what Apple does with the Lion App Store download over the next day or two before proclaiming it includes or doesn't include the .1 release. We'll see.

20. basher macrumors 6502

basher

You make a good point in your statement. Pun intended.:p