When the time comes to sell the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleFan360, Jul 20, 2010.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

So when the iPhone 5 comes out next year and people start selling their iPhone 4's, think the selling prices will be low? It seems to me that next year will be a bad year for e-bayers that want to dump their iPhone 4.

2. aneftp macrumors 601

Why would the selling prices be low? I already have an offer of $800 cash for my 32 GB iphone 4 anytime.

It really depends on if the software unlock is available for the iPhne 4. If it's available next Spring, the selling prices for iPhone 4 will still be very high.

It's the 3GS prices that are dropping like a rock and will continue to drop.

The key thing is to dump the iPhone 4 about 1 month before the announcement of iPhone 5.

If you hang on afterwards, the prices will drop.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

The 3GS' were going for around $800 right after they were released as well, so I don't get your point as to why you think the iPhone 4 will retain its value better? I don't see any reason why the iPhone 4 value would be any better/worse throughout it's life cycle then the 3GS was.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Reale value will be determined by people's perception of the product, supply and demand.

While AT&T changed many people's upgrade date, I think this was a once only deal and so you're not going to get the same volume of current IP4 owners able to upgrade, at least at the upgrade price.

I suspect they did this, to lock in the current customers to two years, this is particularly useful if the iPhone heads over to verizon next year. They'd be stemming the tide of people dropping AT&T and heading over to verizon.

5. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I don't think most people who want one will care as long as it is sold with a case.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Maybe some, but depends on the person. I'm happy with at&t, but if I were wanting to switch to verizon. Selling my iP4 next year would give enough money to cover the ETF as well as a portion of the cost of the new iPhone at a minimum.

7. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

You guys are pretty optimistic. With Apple's admitted issue with the antenna and with all the bad press, I see the iPhone 4 drawing much less re-sale dollars than previous models.

Sure, we here on MacForums and other blogs know the truth, but the iPhone 4 will always have a stigma attached to it because it branched into the mainstream media. Right now, any common person who follows the news will always think the iPhone 4 as damaged goods.

I guess we will know next year.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think the antenna issue will damage the resale value. The media coverage of the problem was/is massive and will not be forgotten. The iPhone 4 will be forever known as the iPhone with the design flaw--though at the same time will be one of the most beautiful handsets ever made.

That, and Android phones are quickly closing the hardware gap. There is only one iPhone but multiple types of Android hardware which range in price and don't force to you to use AT&T. Apple's relationship with AT&T is going to hurt it more than ever over the next few years as other carriers bring their 4G networks up while AT&T lags far behind as usual. It's going to take a few more years, but Android is going to dominate the mobile landscape--unless Apple makes some changes that would be atypical.