When there will a sufficient supply of 5K iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by farmkittie, Dec 2, 2014.

1. farmkittie macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any guesses about when supply might catch up with demand for customized 5K iMacs? I've never ordered anything from Apple that took longer than a couple of weeks (if that) so I'm wondering if anyone remembers a worst case scenario. I must admit that I haven't paid attention.

I've already ordered one but I have a friend who says that it would bother him to order and wait a month or so. He said psychologically he'd prefer to wait two months and then just order then if the wait is, say, 5-7 days for a customized configuration. I realize there aren't any guarantees but I'd be interested in hearing your experiences. For example, when did Mac Pros stop being in short supply?

Thanks and please let me know if this has been asked before. If so, I'll delete this thread.

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Well I doubt it'll be anytime soon, with Black Friday just gone and Christmas around the corner. Maybe by March? All guessing, though. We don't know the precise reasons, whether there are manufacturing issues or just a shedload of orders. There's no doubt a whole heap of people who wouldn't have been up for a normal iMac have been swayed by the incredible new machine. Once you've seen one nothing else will do.

3. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

That describes me. I was all set to buy the new mini but decided to go with the iMac.

Order it today! They could bump you up in shipping, who knows? By definition, they kind of have to over estimate shipping in order not to have to extend it and disappoint millions.

4. farmkittie thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Ya, that sounds about right.

I wonder how many impulse buys Apple is losing because of the shortage? My friend wanted to just walk into an Apple store to get an almost maxed out iMac but he says he may decide against getting one if he waits. He said he doesn't really need a new desktop so he might just stand pat with his 2013 MacBook Pro. Or just come over to my house when mine finally arrives :)

5. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

As far as I know, they only sell base units in the store.

6. farmkittie thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right. I wonder why, once there isn't a shortage/long wait, they don't stock all configurations at each store and just ship to another store if they can't sell it in a few days and another store has a customer for it. I would think the shipping cost wouldn't be bad and Apple could capture more walk-ins or those willing to wait a couple of days to have it shipped from another store. Besides, how do they encourage people to buy up if the customer can't play with a higher configuration in the store.

I know JIT manufacturing keeps inventory low which is desirable for a company. I'm sure they have it all figured out

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

When I ordered my Retina iMac the estimated deliver was 7-10 days. Surprisingly 5 days after the order my iMac was delivered. Apple just gives a worst case delivery estimation.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Which proves that Apple's tactic of deliberately crippling the Mac mini to drive people toward more expensive iMacs worked for at least some people. Unless it was the display that drove you to it, if so perfectly understandable ;)

I ordered mine on launch day and got it three days earlier then expected. They really weren't backordered until after those first few weeks.

9. Korky macrumors member

I was about to buy a Mac in July/August time and did a quick Google to see if a new one was expected at all...rumours were it was so I waited...heard the announcement and waited to see one in the flesh...then ordered a few days later

10. henriquede81 macrumors member

Received mine on Dec 1st ... I've ordered on Oct 21st! Yes, 6 weeks when the initial delivery date was 5-7 days.

So far, I had no issues with my new irMac but if I could go back in time I would have waited 2 months more do to technology maturity concerns.

11. edjrwinnt macrumors member

I just refreshed my screen with the config that I want and it went from 2-3 weeks yesterday, to 1-2 weeks today.

12. farmkittie thread starter macrumors 6502

You are right! I'll tell my friend to order. Maybe he'll get his before I get mine that I already ordered...

13. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Sufficient supplies? All I need is one! And it's been ordered!

14. tatty27 macrumors 6502

tatty27

I ordered a custom spec on 30th October and it arrived on 30th November. It looks like they keep running short of something and orders get delayed while they're waiting to get some more of whatever it is they keeping running out of back in.

When mine was dispatched a load of other people's who'd waited for ages were dispatched at the same time and then a new batch of people started talking about delays with their orders.

15. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I walked out of Best Buy with a base model under my arm in less than 10 minutes yesterday! Coming from a 2010 mini, this thing is pretty sweet.

16. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

It was the display, plain and simple :) I never intended to get an all in one, ever. At my age I like to treat my eyes as well as possible, and this is one truly amazing monitor. Have not regretted it for a second.

17. Kaizo macrumors newbie

Just checked the Apple Store in Japan and the delivery time is 5 to 7 business days.

But I still haven't got the one I ordered on November 16th.