When Tim Cook said the 'biggest advancement' since the original iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shenfrey, Apr 22, 2015.

1. shenfrey, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015

shenfrey macrumors 68000

Was this an intended pun, or was he talking about it in general?

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

What was he talking about, the iPhone 6? If so then he was talking out of his rear. Aside from the screen size there isn't a whole load of difference between it and the 5S. Or the iPhone 5 for that matter. Yeah Apple Pay, yeah Touch ID etc. I use neither and my phone has both, so hardly essential or 'game changing'.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

4. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

iPhone 6 and 6 plus. He said it at the September event. It's not a deep question by any means, just something that's been nibbling at my brain for a bit. Was it a pun or was he being serious lol

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Pun in what sense?

6. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

That the 6 and 6 Plus are the "biggest" iPhones now...I guess that is a play on words.

OP is saying, in his opinion, not much advancement, except for the new "biggest" sizes.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well they are the 'biggest' advancements since iPhone (original). Literally.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

9. cababah macrumors 68000

Biggest "change?"...maybe. Biggest "advancement"...uhh, no.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Lol so it's not a big change because *you* don't use it?

11. wombat94 macrumors member

Just curious...

I can understand not using Apple Pay - it is of limited use today - especially if the places where you shop don't support it yet, like all of the world outside of the US so far.

But, I am curious why you don't use TouchID?

To me that was a true advance on the usability of the phone - allowing me to have a complex passcode and NOT be always slowed down by having to key in a long code.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I know that lots of people use those features but they are hardly gamechangers. I just see them as 'features' rather than massive must haves. We're on the second generation of iPhones that have Touch ID...and I still don't use it. I see it as an option and not a necessity. Reading in the newspaper today about how the Galaxy S5 fingerprint reader can be remotely hacked just shows me that it's a potentially dangerous feature. I actually prefer using a 4 digit PIN to unlock my phone because I've been using my phones this way for years and it's second nature to me. Knowing that the Touch ID system is potentially unsafe only makes me feel more comfortable in my choice.

13. sunking101, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Here is the article, and the story is covered by other newspapers. Nothing is EVER 100% infallible or truly safe.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/23/samsung-investigating-fingerprint-hack-galaxy-s5

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Well the 6 and 6+ were "bigger".

Looks like he hit the nail on the head

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Yes technically it was indeed a pun. It can be considered as such.

More accurately its a marketing slogan intended to imply an exciting evolution in the phone while making a pun about the size in a literal sense at the same time.

So in general it was a layered marketing slogan that contained a pun therein.

16. warnerve macrumors member

17. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I am so jealous of my wife and her shiny new 5s over my 5c for one or two things.

Firstly Touch ID. Nothing more annoying than typing your password for every app install and its darn quick logging in!

Second the speed with better processor including the movement processor too!

Third- battery life, maybe it's early days but her battery is pretty good!

Roll on November for the iPhone 6!

18. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

iPhone 6S you mean ?