When to buy a Macbook pro 15 inch .

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simon s., Jun 17, 2009.

1. simon s. macrumors newbie

Each time apple presents its new line of laptops, the premium resell shops are still stuck with the previous versions

it often happens that the high-end model of the previous generation becomes as cheap as the new mid-end model

and that's when u often get an interesting choice... a choice that many reviews about macbook pro don't even mention..

in this particular case...
    i could choose between

macbook pro march 2009 15 inch (former high-end)
    (2.66 ghz with 6 mb L2 cache, 512 mb geforce go 9600, firewire 800, removable battery, express card) (EDIT:: has SATA 3 Gbit/s, so in 2 years i can buy a sdd hard drive)

or

new macbook pro 15 inch (current mid-end)
    (2.66 ghz with 3 mb L2 cache, 256 mb geforce go 9600, non removable battery, brighter screen, sd card) (EDIT:: and it only has SATA 1.5 Gbit/s)

they both were the same price 1700 euro
    i chose the first one, because it got more horsepower
    (gpu & cpu.. u can't replace those)

1)would u have made the same choice?
    2) why doesn't any review make these comparisons?

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

#1 YES

#2 Because reviews are geared toward comparing TODAYS Apple to TODAYS Orange, not so much Todays Apple to Yesterdays Apple - though they will make mention of any changes in the new model over the old model.

3. NHuskers macrumors newbie

I am too trying to decide on both of these machines :/

4. Bigabouli macrumors member

i'd disagree - the new battery is pretty damn amazing...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, I would have opted for the prior model and in a twisted sense I did ;) I bought a MBP in october. comparing the two models, I'm actually quite happy I didn't wait as I think the older model is better off. I prefer the expresscard slot, increased cache over the SD slot.

They should and some sites do, only then will you see if you're getting a faster and improved system. In doing my research, I found I was getting at least between 15% to 25% increase in performance based on reviews that looked at the current MBP and the prior model. The reviews that compare both models will start trickling out. Don't forget you need to give people time to get the machine, run tests/use it, compare it and then right the review. The line was just updated last week and undoubtedly people are just getting their hands on the machines.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Except you'll need to send it into apple to get it replaced. I can easily swap out my battery. While the battery certainly gives you more uptime, the downside of it, is the inability to easily change it out.

7. simon s. thread starter macrumors newbie

the battery isn't so important for me

1) i just refuse to buy a laptop that costs 1700 euro without getting a graphic card of 512 MB.

2) i also believe that these differences in cpu and gpu tend to weigh more when time passes.
    For now the 256 mb and 512 mb have the same results for most games & heavy programs but when newer programs come out this starts to change.

3) what is with apple always making their mid-end models just not good enough for the design and gaming crowd.

but i understand that people who have different preferences (like better screen, and better battery) choose the new 15 inc model.

(p.s.: it's also important that the computer runs windows vista,(autocad) smoothly)

8. Lucas in Alaska macrumors newbie

I had the same dilemma; I wanted the best without sending $2500. When they did the last update I too noticed they dropped the video ram on the 2.66. I opted for the March 09 2.66 in fact, I received it last night from the UPS man. All said and done it will end up costing me around $1625.

9. simon s. thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a nice feeling to beat apple at their own price-game!:)

10. Lucas in Alaska macrumors newbie

I don't feel that I beat them. I feel like I got a darn good deal.

Purchased MBP at Mac Connection $1949

$150 Mail in rebate

Free ipod touch which I already have sold for $180

An awesome Mac computer

Priceless...

NOW, I find out I made my purchase on the 11th and I get Snow Leopard for $10 that is over the top.

11. joelones macrumors newbie

I too am thinking about the previous generation Macbook Pro 2.66 as I think it is a better buy than the current offering. How's the battery life on the previous gen 15"?

12. NHuskers macrumors newbie

I am also planning on buying from macconnection. You get a free touch too?

13. bomelon macrumors newbie

But won't it only need to be replaced every 3-5 years for the average user... And that's usually about the life of a laptop for many

14. NHuskers macrumors newbie

Anyone know if there is anyway to get the free ipod touch deal from a retail seller like mac connection?

15. Lucas in Alaska macrumors newbie

The free ipod touch is a rebate from Apple. Check it out on the Apple home page to see if you qualify.

16. Leo72 macrumors member

I've decided to wait for the new Nvidia chips. And i suppose that GT240M is going to be used in MacBook Pro (because of its TDP)

17. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

im doing the same thing as we speak. im buyin the refurb macbook pro with 2.56ghz, and 512mb 9600gt. This would have costed me over 2,100 5 months ago. now im only paying 1500.

18. Leo72 macrumors member

19. Leo72 macrumors member

I'm sorry, i understood the article wrong :( Actually, i don't think Apple will use a strong video card in its products.

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

buy the pre WWDC 2.66 MBP if you can. i really think they down graded them.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you kidding; I'd pick the older model even if still cost the same as it's prior price point simply due to it's superior expandability.