When to buy a Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steven9d3, Mar 23, 2011.

  1. steven9d3 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2011
    #1
    i am looking into getting the 13 inck macbook pro for college next year and i was wondering should i buy the computer now and get the $100 off for being a student or should i wait till it get closer to the summer and hope the offer a better deal like a free ipod or printer or something?

    thanks
     
  2. squeakr macrumors 68000

    squeakr

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #2
    Too many wild cards in the equation. Will they even have the back to school program this year (probably, but no one knows for sure)? Are you in a state that has a tax free weekend (like mine does where computers are tax free)? Do you need it now?? Will you get an educational discount that you might not be eligible for now if you wait? Only you can answer these things and make the decision. If you wait (how long are you willing to wait, as Lion will be out this Summer some time) will it benefit you more (as can you get more machine for a better price)? You have to ask yourself these questions and decide based on that. Will the school you are attending have other systems in mind that work better with your intended area of study??
     
  3. Granny-Smith macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #3
    I am in a similar situation and my advice would be to wait.

    1. If you are thinking of a machine for college next year, your current computing needs are probably already met.

    2. Any discount that exists today (ie $100 off) will exist when you matriculate/start this fall. Plus, you will have access to the Back to School promo (ipod touch/printer).

    3. My school store offers a better deal than $100 off so you might want to see if yours does as well.

    4. Miscellaneous reasons: comes with Lion, refresh on macbook, potential of 2011-MBP 13" refurbs, 4 months more of use on the other end hypothetically

    That all said, if I weren't abroad, I would have a tough time not buying this machine. I too am looking at the 13" and excited for the performance boost.

    Good luck
     

Share This Page