When to buy a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webberman, Jul 5, 2008.

1. webberman macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I want to buy a MBP as my first Apple laptop. I read the Buyer's Guide and it says MBP is in its Mid product cycle. But I also found some other articles saying that MBP will have a major design change this year. So I don't know if it's a good timing to buy a MBP now. I mean if it's going to be a MAJOR change, I think I should wait. After all, $2000 is not that cheap for a laptop.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Buy when you need it

If you need it now, buy and don't look back

If you can wait, wait... but there will always be something new around the corner

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Couldn't have said it better myself! :)

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

try june/july of next year when nehalem comes out

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nehalem should be in line for Q1-2009, but anyways, what the Dawg said.

6. cattledog macrumors member

cattledog

i didn't need to purchase my macbook pro right now, but i did. I like the current design. So far, i think it is a GREAT LAPTOP! no problems. Don't regret my decision to purchase

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not the mobile Nehalem. It's set for Q3 like he said. Basically a year from Montevina.

8. webberman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, what you said is definitely right. But I mean the design for Macbook Pro hasn't been changed for several years already. If it's going to be a completely redesign this year (or next), isn't it worth waiting? It's $2000, usually you can buy three laptops with that much money. It actually took me a long while to save $2000...

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

First, huh? It hasn't been changed in six years.

Second, fixed.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I would have preferred to have waited for Montevina, but I couldn't. I'm four weeks in to MBP ownership and I don't regret it at all. Great laptop.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Only you can decide that...

As I said, if you need it now, then buy
    If you can wait, then wait
    Your choice

But as soon as you buy... there will be another "newer, faster, sleeker, snappier" version just on the horizon

You make the best decision with the information you have available at the time and you don't look back.
    You can't regret your decision based on new information you didn't have at the time.

If it is important to the have the latest and greatest... you will need to buy and sell every 12 to 18 months

That's just too much trouble for me personally, but it may be important to you.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. glassmen07 macrumors member

Remember this, the nice thing about buying something that has been on the market for a bit is that they've worked bugs out by then. I bought my MBP a year ago I'd say and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You know what they say... the early bird gets the Revision A

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Heres the thing. Right now the MBPs are great, they run cool and quiet, they are fast and powerful for the price, LED screens, ~5hours battery life, very solid and no real issues. If they do a redesign there's going to be some issues, last major redesign (Powerbook-MBP) there were:
    Lines on the screen
    SEVER heat issues
    Rosetta slow down problems
    Boot Camp issues when it was in beta
    etc

So If you get it now there aren't really any known issues, it's a sold laptop. So if you get it now you will be happy its an awesome machine and this year they've had some nice upgrades, like multi touch and the LED screen. If early-mid next year they upgrade or redesign them they might have issues again and you'll regret it. If you buy now and they redesign it in a year, and you wait another year till all the kinks are worked out then you could sell the one you buy this summer and then get the new one!

I'm buying my MBP next weekend because Vermont is having a tax-free weekend so thats enough of a reason for me!

15. a4abt macrumors regular

See if the current MBP's specs fit your needs. If they do, then buy it and enjoy it! I bought mine 3 months before the Penryn update and I don't regret it. Of course a newer MBP version is nice, but you can't keep waiting until a new version comes out.

16. mynameisshawn macrumors member

17. webberman thread starter macrumors newbie

The first one was typo, sry about that

18. webberman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for all your nice advices!

I think I'm gonna get one next week.:cool:

19. buyusfear macrumors 6502

+1

Right now the MBP is the "best" it is going to be at least for another ....(how old is the current deisgn???) IMO.
    The numbers don't lie...

What NEW redesign by Apple, or any company for that matter, has had it's "FIRST GEN" model released with FEWER glitches then all other consecutive redesigns of the same model ???

I bought a penryn MBP 2 months ago, as I wanted one for daily out of the house use. I thought about waiting, for about a day.

20. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I got my MBP in January right before the upgraded MBPs came out. I knew they would be getting processor and graphics card updates soon but I didn't want to wait because I needed one immediately for grad school. Of course I'd love a 2.4 GHz instead of the 2.2 GHz I have but I don't regret for a second my purchase.

21. McGiord, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Buy this year and sell it next year and buy the new gear that will come out with Snow Leopard sometime in 2009.
    ________
    no2 review

22. a4abt macrumors regular

Enjoy your MBP!! :apple:

23. marine610610 macrumors regular

You buy when you need one... I finally caved when i bought my MBP 2.16 C2D.. The sooner you buy one the sooner it will be 3-4 years later and you can buy another. Its the :apple: quicksand...

24. webberman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, just two more questions to ask, the heat and screen issue about MBP. I heard it's getting pretty hot when you run big applications on it for a while. Is that true? I'd like to play WOW or Warcraft3 on the MBP, but I wont do a lot video editing, so is that a real problem for me?

Secondly, Glossy or Matte? I wont use the laptop outside a lot, but I hate fingerprints on the screen. My current laptop, IBM T60, is a Matte screen I think, and when I use it outside under the sun light, I can barely see anything on the screen. So if the glossy is even worse, I think I'm going for Matte.

Any advices will be appreciated. Thanks!

25. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

Yup

Well said :apple: