When to buy a MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Julietteg, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Julietteg macrumors newbie

Hello,

I would like to buy a MacBook as soon as possible, since my 5 year-old iBook G4 can't do much anymore. I could wait a few more months though. You should know that I use my computer only for very basic stuff: word/excel/pp, emails, internet. Do you think I should wait a bit more? Or are current MacBook good enough?

Thank you!

2. simsaladimbamba

The current generation of MBs is more than sufficient to satisfy your computational needs. Even MBs from 2006 could do that.
    But if you can wait till June or July, then there should be a more recent MB out there.

3. Julietteg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer! Oh I would keep my old computer if I could. The only problem is that it can't run skype's new version, google chrome, is very slow with the last version of Adobe... it's just a little obsolete. If I bought a MacBok today, do you think I could keep it 5 years?

4. simsaladimbamba

If you take good care of it, then yes, but in five years there might be applications like Skype which want newer and faster hardware, but other than that, the current MB will be okay for your uses for five years.

5. Julietteg thread starter macrumors newbie

Lastly, I have no good reason to buy the Mac Pro, right? (I think I know the answer already, but just making sure)

6. simsaladimbamba

A faster CPU will not open websites faster or let yo input text faster in a text documents.
    And a Mac Pro is much more expensive for your stated needs, including the power bill, as it sucks much more wattage than you need.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Wait for the refresh if you can. I'd definitely not get anything at the end of the product cycle.

8. Julietteg thread starter macrumors newbie

9. simsaladimbamba

Maybe, maybe even earlier. We don't know, just speculate.

10. Julietteg thread starter macrumors newbie

11. molala macrumors 6502a

The last update was May 2010. So it might be sooner (April or May).