When to buy a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by APPLEFAN8, Jan 21, 2016.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I have a mid 2012 model but want to upgrade to a new MBP my question is, should I get one in February when I come home from work for a week or should I wait for a new release. The question is, I wonder when they will release the new model. I was reading a possible march release or June. Thoughts everyone? Thanks

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

In what ways is your current machine insufficient for your needs? I definitely wouldn't recommend buying now, the current models are not a whole lot faster than yours. The top of the line today is about 14.6% faster (64 bit multicore) than than the 2.7GHz 2012 model. It will be much more helpful if you let us know how you use the machine, and in what ways your current setup is holding you back.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would wait, also my plan, however June onwards is likely (IMO). I am hoping the new model will be a significant improvement if not the current one will be discounted.

Q-6

4. robvas macrumors 68030

It's not a ton faster, but it's a brand new machine, has an SSD, better screen, longer battery life, thinner...his is 3 years old

5. Closingracer macrumors 68030

You should buy a new MacBook or any device whenever you need to.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Closingracer beat me to the correct answer.

But -- if you want to "upgrade for the sake of upgrading", wait until the Skylake models come out with (at least) USB3.1, etc.

7. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I quit the waiting for the latest and greatest awhile ago. Buy what you need when you need it. My 4th Gen quad i7 will be just fine for my needs. I don't need a Skylake MBP especially with the fact that my dual core 2nd gen i7 has been fine for me till recently. Now I need more power and I bought what was affordable.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I suspect the next gen MacBook Pro might have some design amendments.. and in any case I would wait for the next gen.

9. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Yay ? Doubt it though. They are more focused on selling iPhones and watches then Laptop computers. In general PC sales ( Yes a Macbook is a personal computer or PC) are falling and that won't be changing anytime soon. For the average joe who only reads the web, email and youtube a Tablet will do just fine and usually last longer than a laptop will and is way more portable.

10. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Mainly adobe suite, since I travel for video production and I have the money now to get a new one but I feel like waiting may be worth it. I don't need it right now exactly but def want to get one by summer time at the latest, I just hate waiting but if I have to hold out a few more months; I will try my best haha

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah... my original post actually assumed the mid 2012 was a retina which is why I was uber questioning why you needed a new one. I later realized it is not. I have a mid 2010 and I didn't make it very far with it video production wise and purchased a Mac Pro about year later. In your situation, I would definitely wait for the next model and then purchase right away. The latest revision to the MacBook Pro was a processor bump, I believe it kept the same GPU. The next one should be a real upgrade.

12. killawat macrumors 65816

Its the complete opposite. The CPU was kept the same from 2014 to 2015 (Broadwell chips came out a month after the new machines were released) so the 2015 base model had the same CPU & Iris GPU which was LESS graphics power than the 2012 base rMBP because it included a Discrete GPU!!!!!!! More RAM and faster SSD are good but still.

OP if I were you I would wait, you already have a decent rig.

13. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Thanks, I do have the new mac pro cylinder but i'm on the road 33 weeks this year for work and its much easier to carry around a new MBP than my Mac pro(we both know it's not the lightest haha) so I think the smart thing to do is to wait and just get the new one. Thanks again

14. the caveman macrumors 6502

frys has 15 mpb 16gb 256 version for 1700 with a personal promo code, is this a good deal?

15. rendevouspoo macrumors regular

I bought my first MBP 2 days ago through work. Every thing was telling me to wait for the newer one but I needed one and have no regrets whatsoever. This is my first experience with a Mac computer and I'm absolutely loving it.

16. Closingracer macrumors 68030

I bought mine 2 weeks ago as well and Yay I dont get the 1-2% speed increases? Yawn

17. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Have you tried macmall? They have good deals as well!