When to buy a new Mac Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chayes, Feb 7, 2012.

  1. chayes macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #1
    So I just sold my late '09 model MBP, and I am debating on buying one now or use my wifes HP for now, and wait till Ivy Bridge to buy new.

    Will Ive Bridge Mac Airs be released in April, or at least probably?

    The only thing keeping me from buying now is that I would like to have the lastest chipset and I don't really need to buy now. It wouldn't kill me if I waited.

    I feel like the next Mac Air might be leaps and bounds over the current gen., with CPU & GPU making great gains.
     
  2. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #2
    Well you said you don't need it now and you don't mind waiting… so wait for the next model?

    Personally if I ever considered going on a forum to ask if I should a computer or not, I would reconsider and pick up the computer from the store immediately. :)
     
  3. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

    IngerMan

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #3
    Since you say you can wait, it makes sense to wait. I am sure the longest wait will be another 6 months at most. Every upgrade just keeps getting better.
     
  4. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #4
    As usual this is a pretty pointless question. Nobody knows.
     
  5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #5
    Nobody knows exactly when the Ivy Bridge MBAs will be released.

    So, the answer to your dilemma is, quite simply, if you need a computer, buy one now (you can always sell it later). If, on the other hand, you simply would like to buy a computer, and are not too bothered about when the purchase is made, why then, I suggest that you wait (however many months it may take) until the next generation MBAs (complete with Ivy Bridge) are released.
     
  6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

    PBG4 Dude

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2007
    #6
    Intel has said Ivy Bridge will be released in April with desktop and some laptop chips. It is rumored the CULV chips used in MBAs may not be released until May. It'll probably take another month or two for Ivy Bridge MBAs to arrive.

    Maybe they'll arrive at WWDC in June? Who knows. It should receive a refresh before the back to school season, IMHO. Still, this is all speculation on my part.
     
  7. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #7
    Wait. June is just around the corner. IB will have better battery and graphics. Worth waiting for. If you need something before then, but a used or refurb 2010 Air.
     
  8. shadowjeff macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    #8
    You know these threads appear all the time and when the op says "they don't mind waiting", that's not the truth. Deep down in his heart, the op wants to get the air and he just wants us to say "you should buy it now" so that he won't feel guilty after buying it. Or he wants us to say "buy it" to push him over the ledge.

    If he really doesn't mind waiting he wouldn't even have asked for advice.
     
  9. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #9
    Of course, but we're suppose to ignore that you know. And give the guy some credit: having the ability to resist buying an Apple product (you know the kind of will that must take?!).
     
  10. chayes thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #10
    Thanks for the opinions.

    It is hard to resist, but I think I may go ahead and buy now.

    I have a friend who works at Apple and I can get the 13 in. Air for $1,175.

    I don't know if I want to wait till June to get another laptop.
     
  11. narin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #11
    I am in the exact same situation as you. I don't absolutely need it, but would still rather have it now than play the waiting game. I ordered a refurb base 13" through a friend at Apple yesterday for $1090 after taxes. If a new one comes out and it is significantly better, we can always sell it without taking much of a hit, especially with our discounts. :)
     
  12. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Location:
    Iowa
    #12
    I was in the same situation. I bought an open box model for a bunch off MSRP and if IB or USB 3.0 comes on the next Air I will be trading in for sure.

    I know this loses me a little money in the long term possibly but I hate waiting.. and I can easily just cut something else out of my budget for it :)
     
  13. Augure macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #13
    **** the other people, you can know approximately when it's going to be released.

    1. Either in June so it can be a full year cycle, if they have the exclusivity with Ivy Bridge

    2. If not in June, it's for september. Ivy Bridge will have been released, and they will have an urgent strategic need to release updated Macbook after the summer vacation.
     
  14. Mattdub macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2012
    #14
    I had this debate with myself for a week. I bought a 13" on Sunday and don't regret it at all. Apple will always have new products coming out but as long as its not next week or even next month you should just buy it and you will be happy when you do!
     
  15. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

    mousouchop

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #15
    This. I have wanted a MBA for YEARS, finally ready to buy one as a secondary system, but I'm waiting on this update.
     
  16. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #16
    Nice to see someone stand up to the usual "no one knows" answer that is so cliche on MR. I agree and I think its silly that you can't surmise or deduce a time frame for the next release, based on rumors and industry leads. There is no harm in speculating from rumors and last I heard, Ivy Bridge could be released as early as April. I also wouldn't think that Apple would ignore it's top selling Mac for more than a year.
     
  17. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #17
    Instant gratification isn't what it's cracked up to be.

    Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait... well you get the idea :)
     
  18. halledise macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #18
    wait if you're patient, buy now if you ain't.
    or you could buy a refurb 11" Air for $700 to tide you over until the new refresh comes out - whenever that may be.
    the thought of using the wife's HP is fraught with danger if you ask me :)
     
  19. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

    DDustiNN

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2011
    #19
    If you "wait", you'll always just be waiting forever. There will always be a better one in the works. At some point, you just have to dive in.

    If you buy now, a better one will be released soon.

    If you buy later, a better one will be released soon.

    See what I'm getting at?
     
  20. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Location:
    Iowa
    #20
    I agree with this 100%
     
  21. Neodym macrumors 68000

    Neodym

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2002
    #21
    Don't expect too much. Unless Apple introduces more technical changes than just bumping chipset and CPU, the difference may be not really that noticeable in day-to-day work. Gaming performance will probably increase nicely, though it'll be still far from what a dedicated graphic solution (think MBP) can offer. Battery time may increase an hour, but again: nothing ground-shaking.
     
  22. chayes thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #22
    I took the plunge. I had a good deal through my friend and decided that Ivy Bridge would be nice but really, it will be outdated in another year or so.

    So for now I am writing on my Sandy Bridge Macbook Air and am loving it!
     
  23. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Location:
    Iowa
  24. gentlefury macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #24
    Its a wonderful portable. And, the good thing is, Apple products hold their value...so when the new model comes out you can sell your currently without losing too much.
     
  25. Masterfox72 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2012
    #25
    Wait. It'll be worth it. I remember when I wanted to get the first iPad but decided to wait and get the second. And I was soo glad I waited an extra 8 months for it.
     

Share This Page