When to buy a new MBP in the future and do with the old?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alankalf, Nov 6, 2014.

1. alankalf macrumors newbie

Currently have a MBPr 13" (base model, late 2013) with applecare plus. I was wondering what you guys do when applecare plus runs out? Should I keep it till it no longer works (might need 15" one because I'll be traveling and wont be able to use an iMac for editing), sell it (definitely wont get a lot of money for it) and buy a new one with a new design version by then or just buy a new one and keep the old one?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Standard warranty lasts one year, applecare adds two more years for a total of three. So your 2013 laptop will be in warranty until 2016.

What to do with the old computer once you upgrade? Sell it, on ebay or craigslist.

When to upgrade? Its up to you, if the current model is not performing to your needs, or lacks the features the newer model as then that's usually the best reason. If you're happy with what you have, there's no reason to upgrade.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have AppleCare, not AppleCare+, which is only available for iPhones, iPads and iPods, not Macs.
    I keep a computer until it no longer meets my needs, whether or not AppleCare coverage has expired. When I upgrade to a new computer, I give my old one to a friend or family member.

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

My new mid-2014 rMBP is on its way. I upgraded from my 4+yr old MBP because i needed a newer, faster computer with more HD space for my photography work demands even though I have an external HD for most of my photos, my workflow was really slowing down. I test drove one at an Apple retail store and the difference between my old HD and the new flash drive was significant enough to make the move. It was just time. My old MBP is going to my step daughter. I was at least a year or more out of my Apple Care and paid the $19 for a single help session when I needed it once. I do not live near an Apple store, but whenever I'm out of town and have access to one, I have the Genius Bar do a quick check on my computer free of charge, so I really don't get too concerned when the AC policy runs out.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I still have my mid-09 MBP even though I got a late-2013 rMBP last year. I thought about selling it for parts, but then a friend needed to learn Xcode for a job interview. So I got it repaired (free thanks to previous AppleCare and forgiving Geniuses) and got a new battery. Now the issues it had that made mw want to upgrade have mysteriously disappeared, so it's useful as a media server.

It really depends on you. If you can afford to upgrade before your current machine is unusable, then sell it or give it to a family member. If not, sell it for parts or recycle it. Or invest a little bit to have a decent secondary machine. Easier to do with the old unibody MBPs though.

6. Harry Muff macrumors regular

This topic has been on my mind too. I bought mine in January, and specifically bought Apple Care because the new macs are pretty much unrepairable.

I don't know what I will do once the warranty runs out.

Would I roll the dice and use it til it dies, or sell it while it's still worth something?

I have no idea.