When to buy a new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pep.pep, Dec 13, 2010.

  1. pep.pep macrumors member

    Dec 13, 2010
    Currently, I have an Imac from 2006. 17 inch, 2.0 ghz intel core 2 duo, 1 gb of ram. I need a new mac soon. The one I'm using now keeps crashing, freezing and is just being a pain.

    Now, my question. Should I invest in a new MCB now? Or wait for the new update? Any word on when that will happen?

    That being said, I may want to just get the new Imac, but I'm just not sure.

    Any help would be great.

  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    Need NOW = Buy NOW.
    If you can wait, wait.

    What do you want to use the MBP or iMac for?

    Btw, an update to the MBP line (Sandy Bridge, countless threads about this, daily) is expected in Q1/2011. And update to the iMac line might happen in Q2/2011.
  3. pep.pep thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 13, 2010
    I guess I don't NEED it. But, I really want a new one.

    It'll be mainly for word processing, movie/tv watching, and web stuff.

    It freezes daily, and I have a line of dead pixels on the right side of the screen.

    It's weird, though. When it freezes, I can still use the mouse but I can't click anything on the screen. It's pretty bizarre. Also, sometimes it takes a few tries after I reboot it to actually work. Just keeps freezing up. It's just getting annoying.
  4. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
  5. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

    Aug 1, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    hey, the current generation of macbook pros will do everything you need to do and some. If you want i now and it does everything you need then why wait? you might save 1/10 of a second over the course of a day waiting and buying one in refresh. I say go for it =D
  6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Mar 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    go to your Disk utility and run 'Repair disk Permissions' It may take about 10 minutes and it 'might' make a noticeable change in performance. Apple Care ad me do this on my iMac few months ago and I was amazing how responsive it got.

    Also, if you hard drive is getting full that can slow things down as well. Of course only 1GB is big bottle neck
  7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6


    Jun 11, 2007
    new ones in late jannuary/early feb. i say wait. :)
  8. pep.pep thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 13, 2010
    I'll probably do a restart of the computer, deleting everything and see how it performs.

    But, if it keeps at it, I'll probably just get a new in the up and coming month(s).
  9. laser71 macrumors regular

    Nov 29, 2010
    Sweet Jesus, how many people have to ask this on a daily basis?!
  10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

    Jan 14, 2008
    My iMac was doing this, I took it to Apple and it turns out the Hard Drive was BAD!

    They replaced it and not a problem since.
  11. pep.pep thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 13, 2010

    My three-year warranty is not good anymore, so I'll probably be charged a decent amount.
  12. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

    Jun 27, 2004
    No harm in asking/seeing what they'll do. Might not be that big of a deal. I've seen them change/swap out HDDs for free on out of warranty MacBooks (which is notably an easier job, but still).

Share This Page