WHEN to buy a PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Antares, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Okay, I need some opinions and couldn't find a proper thread that already answers this. I'm definitely getting a PS3. My issue, though, is when to get it...Do you think there will be another price drop or perhaps a special bundle for the holidays? I'm keen on the $499 60GB version. I don't mind waiting as I don't "need" it now. However, will those be sold out by the holidays? Is there any real advantage to buying it now vs December? My alternative would be to just buy a used one off of eBay.

Most of the games I want are coming out next year. The only other advantage to buying it now would be the ability to watch Blu-ray movies, now.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Then wait till next year. I wouldn't buy a system at full price now, with the full intention of playing games released next year when the system might have had a price cut.

Plus all the current stock of games will get cheaper too.

Win win.

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I would try and buy the $499 60GB version if you have any investment at all in PS2 games.

If you apply for a Sony Credit card you can actually get the PS3 for $399.

Also, the PS3 applies for 5 free Blu Ray movies which you can turn around and E-Bay them if you don't want them for a little extra cash.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Seconded. Get the Sony Credit Card, get a $399 PS3 with 5 Blu-ray movies.

Alternatively, wait till next year. There's rumblings of a 40 GB PS3 model at $399...though I have no idea how truthful they are.

5. Antares thread starter macrumors 68000

Antares

I didn't know that. I suppose I could always apply for the card and then later cancel it. I also forgot about the free Blu-ray movies. I believe that promotion ends Sept 30th. There's a Sony store right near the Apple store, at one of the malls, on my way home from work. Maybe I'll stop there today and get the details...And also check out the iPod Touch, which I'm tempted to buy. Thanks!

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

There will probably be a price drop at Christmas or shortly thereafter.

I wouldn't buy one right now even though Heavenly Sword just got released (and I want the game bad). PixelJunk Racers just came out on the PSN, that one looks very fun as well.

The lineup this winter and early next year looks great...that's the safe time to buy one IMO; that's when I will be doing so at least.

7. MK2007 macrumors regular

I sold my 60 GB PS3 right before the 80 GB model was released in the U.S. If you are in no rush, then wait until next. There still aren't enough good games for the PS3. There is plenty of inventory to buy the PS3 in December, if that's what you decide to do.

Wait a year, though, and you'll be wondering about the 120 GB model, in case it hasn't been released already. No, there is no official announcement, but don't expect the 80 GB model to last forever. The price of disk drives is dropping so rapidly that by next summer you might be able to buy 1 TB for $100.

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

same here im waiting until after the holidays i think there ll be a price drop then

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

(Not to thread jack)
    They're not dropping that fast.
    I bought a 320g around Feb/March for $94, the same drive now is around $74, $20 off.

I seriously doubt 1T drives will be anywhere near $100 by summer 08...maybe winter 08 or sometime in 09 but not that soon.

750s are still around $200, I can see those going down to around $175 (safe bet) or $165 (a stretch) by summer/fall 08.

500s will be around $100 I'm sure.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not in the 2.5" size the PS3 uses (and 360) you won't. You can't get anywhere near 1 TB no matter how much money you've got.

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

You don't truly need the disk space anyway, but you can pick up a 160GB drive for around $100.

I don't see any real reason to put it off, as there's a lot of speculation about pricing. At least with the 60GB you get the PS2 Emotion Engine built in as opposed to the 80GB thats software emulated. Not really a big deal if you don't have PS2 games, but you need to decide that.

The only reason I would wait, is to see if they upgrade the HDMI hardware to support bitstream output for the newer HD audio formats.

It sounds like you are looking for a gaming machine anyway, so waiting doesn't really save you much.

There is a rumored 40GB version, but you know how rumors can be ;)

12. Antares thread starter macrumors 68000

Antares

And Blu-ray movies. My 1080p tv is screaming for them.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Whenever you feel is the right time to buy it then do so....If you see something the PS3 got and you want it then get it....dont listen to anyone but yourself.

Bless