When to buy a rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tasuth, Oct 10, 2014.

1. tasuth macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am on the market for a new laptop and I was wondering when to buy the Retina MacBook Pro (or air)? Should I wait till Broadwell?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well if you can wait (read waiting until 2015) then Broadwell is the best option, otherwise get one now if the need is more immediate.

3. whitedragon101 macrumors 65816

There are a some cool things if you can wait till 2015

1) Broadwell should really increase battery life
    2) The 9xxm nVidia GPUs have amazing performance at 75% the performance of desktop chips http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcoch...fficient-maxwell-architecture-invades-mobile/
    If you SLI two 970m another site showed your laptop has more power than a 980gtx desktop.
    3) The 12" fanless super slim notebook in using the new super low power Broadwell chips

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that there is no set timeline as to when the Broadwell chips will be added to the rMBP. Indications are that you're looking somewhere's around mid-2015.

If you can wait, great. If you need something now, don't wait. While the Broadwell chips will improve on battery life and offer slightly faster processing, the current rMBP's aren't slouches in this department.

5. tasuth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for their responses.

I need it by February 2015 so I think I will just bite the bullet and go for it.

Thanks Again!

6. 100thMonkey macrumors member

I bought a 15" rMBP with integrated graphics recently and am really pleased with it. Great machine.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

8. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

There's some recent buying advice, albeit without reference to Broadwell, under http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1794654 … expect more there in due course.

In the meantime: for myself next week hopefully it'll be a 15" at 2.2 GHz with 512 GB storage (part Z0RC) at £1,357 +VAT in the Apple Store for Education.

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yep, grabbed a 13" about four months ago and it's a beast. No regrets whatsoever.