When to buy iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by touchher, Jan 18, 2008.

  1. touchher macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2007
    #1
    My dad was going to take me to buy an iMac tomorrow, but I'm not sure if this is the right time to buy. I've been seeing talk about "bumps" in February? Would a "bump" be a upgrade or a change in the entire iMac. I don't want to buy the iMac and then have a new one come out in February. Then again, I don't want to wait for an update in February just to find out nothing has changed and then have the update come in March... Any opinions on when to buy? :confused:
     
  2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

    JSchwage

    Joined:
    May 5, 2006
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #2
    I doubt we will see a completely redesigned iMac any time soon seeing as the new aluminum design was released in August. You may want to wait though since the "bump" may include some fixes to a lot of problems current aluminum iMac owners are having.
     
  3. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #3
    I would put the iMac upgrade at April or May, and this will simply be the Penryn bump, which means slight performance gain. Tomorrow is a fine day to buy. Today even better. I would be shocked if the iMac was updated in February, and somewhat surprised if the Penryns came in March either. Remember the MacBook Pro has not seen them yet and they will be first. iMac updates could even be as late as June.

    And I have a 2.8Ghz 24" aluminum iMac bought when released last August, and it is great. I am very happy with it.
     
  4. touchher thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2007
    #4
    Hypothetically, How many days after a purchase would I have to return the iMac (opened) and get the upgraded iMac?
     
  5. peejack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    #6
    14 in the UK.
     
  6. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #7
    14 days with a 10% restocking fee. I just ordered a refurb 24" iMac today (woohoo!). All the evidence I could see points to a speed bump around April, and I don't want to wait 3 more months just to see what it is. I don't expect much on the processor side, just a switch to pennryn. The only thing I really wanted was a bump in the graphics card, and would have loved a higher memory cap than 4GB.

    But when it really boiled down, I realized that regardless of what the next update brings, the iMac as it stands today is plenty for my needs, so I went ahead and ordered.
     
  7. Chris83 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Hull, UK
    #8
    Why not just wait until the next update? Then wait another 6 months until the next?

    If you want an iMac and it meets your requirements just buy it. Anything you buy today will be outdated in a months time.
     
  8. NAG macrumors 68030

    NAG

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2003
    Location:
    /usr/local/apps/nag
    #9
    At this point I'd buy. If the upgrade was a month or so away I'd consider waiting but I doubt we'll see anything that soon.

    The current iMacs are very nice and will continue to be nice after the speed bump in the spring.
     
  9. Srestrepo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2007
    #10
    It would be a silent upgrade. Nothing to me to get excited about. Penryn is the next step for apple to adopt, maybe a slight change in graphic card, if you need one now buy it, but if you want satisfaction of having the best for about a 6month period then wait about a month (silent refresh to imac in my guess).
     
  10. Chris204 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #11
    I bought my iMac on Tuesday. The update (if and when it comes) doesn't really concern me. You can never stay ahead of the game when it comes to computers or technology. I'll just sell this in 2-3 years anyway.
     
  11. Ryanb1281 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #12
    why april?

    Why is it that you think that it will take so long to get Penryns into the iMac? How long of a lag was there between Intel's last chip update and when it trickled down into the iMac? I would have thought, since competitors are beginning to announce Penryn baased laptops/desktops, and since Apple already put Penryns into the Mac Pro, that an iMac update might not be that far off?
     

Share This Page