When to buy iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by slw3737, Jun 10, 2008.

1. slw3737 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am going to buy a new MBP before August starts. Because of the new back-to-school promo, I will be eligible for a $300 rebate on the 32GB iPod touch. Right now, i have the old nano. I would like to get a new iPod touch. However, I do not know whether to get one when I buy a new MBP with the rebate, or wait until the holiday season in hopes of a new model. What do you guys think?

2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I would think their might be either a price-drop, or a model refresh fairly soon. With the 8Gb new iPhone coming in $100 cheaper than the current 8GB iPod Touch, I would expect something to change soon, if thats a increase in capacity or a drop in price, I'm not sure. But I would hold out for as long as possible.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, the summer promotion is typically used to get rid of old stock before the iPod line is refreshed in September. I honestly can't see a price drop until then, and the price of the iPhone has nothing to do with that of the iPod due to being subsidized. I think that if you do try to wait for a new iPod, you'll reach the end of the promotion and you'll have to pay the full price. I think that you're safe to buy now. $200 for a 32GB ain't a bad deal. :)

Your other option would be to get the iPod with the rebate and then just sell it. Then you'd have some cash to save for a 2G model later in the year.

4. slw3737 thread starter macrumors newbie

how much would the 2G ipod touch be approximately (assuming its 64gb)?

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

They normally don't move prices around when they update products. So it would probably be $500, but I wouldn't expect 64GB for another eight months or more.

6. slw3737 thread starter macrumors newbie

so then what update would we see come sept-dec?

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Not to be rude, but I can't see into the future. Anything that I could say would just be guess work. But 32GB chips would still be too expensive to put two of them into the iPod in September.

8. macfan881 macrumors 68020

ipod updates are usally mid sept or october if im not mistaken

9. hinchesk macrumors member

It's a bit soon to buy

Last iPod Touch update: Feb 5, 2008.

With the iPhone 3G coming July 11 it seems to be a foregone conclusion that the iPod Touch will get the new 2.0 software around that time. Waiting for the software will save you $10...

$10? So what... I agree, but the question is when does the Touch get the GPS hardware and other hardware updates that give the iPhone 3G it's improvements in battery life and audio quality. Those are worth waiting for... how long can you hold your breath?

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, to be honest, the capacity boost in February was hardly an update. It was just the addition of another model at a higher price. I can't really see it getting GPS. The iPhone got it because it needs GPS to compete, but a PMP really doesn't. I think that by the time that the iPods actually get revised, it will be too late for the summer student promotion, which completely defeats the purpose.

11. Michaud68 macrumors member

I bought mine a few weeks ago couldn't wait and since i bought it at circuit city I have a month price protection and can a recommend this site that gives you cash back on all your purchases it even lets you use coupon codes I got my 16g ipod touch for 348.00 which isn't bad well here is a link oh yeah you can get cash back on itunes too

Save money on your ipod touch purchase!