Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colingreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
I am a senior in highschool and I am trying to decide whether or not I want to wait for the broadwell rMBP or if I should just buy the late 2014 rMBP. I have already been accepted into college so I can get my university discount. At this point it just doesnt seem like apple can do much more with their notebooks. It isnt feasible to have the 5k retina in a rMBP just yet.

Should I buy now or wait until the broadwell is released?

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
The improvements that come with Broadwell will mostly be in battery life and integrated graphics performance. These will be more important to a device like the rumoured retina MacBook Air, which will finally be feasible because of Broadwell.

I doubt you'll see any earth-shattering changes to the MacBook Pros beyond a standard year-over-year spec bump, especially if you're looking at the 15" rMBP with dedicated graphics since Broadwell will have even less of an impact there.

gdiebel

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
I am a senior in highschool and I am trying to decide whether or not I want to wait for the broadwell rMBP or if I should just buy the late 2014 rMBP. I have already been accepted into college so I can get my university discount. At this point it just doesnt seem like apple can do much more with their notebooks. It isnt feasible to have the 5k retina in a rMBP just yet.

Should I buy now or wait until the broadwell is released?

Get it now. Life is for living not waiting for perfection

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
there won't be a late 2014 MBP, just more models of the mid-2014. Specs for the rest of the year are locked in.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Get it now. I was going to wait for the new retina MBA after selling my old one last week. I couldn't do it. Just got a new retina 13 yesterday. So nice, and I am so glad I didn't wait.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
First, I agree with the other posters that now is an excellent time to buy a MacBook Pro if you need one.

The improvements that come with Broadwell will mostly be in battery life and integrated graphics performance. These will be more important to a device like the rumoured retina MacBook Air, which will finally be feasible because of Broadwell.

I doubt you'll see any earth-shattering changes to the MacBook Pros beyond a standard year-over-year spec bump, ...
I agree completely up to this point, though there is a small chance that Apple might introduce Thunderbolt 3 and Displayport 1.3 to the MacBook Pro with Broadwell. Much more likely, Apple will wait until Intel make it easy with Skylake.

... especially if you're looking at the 15" rMBP with dedicated graphics since Broadwell will have even less of an impact there.
There is a very good chance that the improvements from Iris Pro 5200 to Iris Pro 6200 or 6300 will result in the elimination of the last remaining vestige of the discrete GPU from the MacBook Pro line.

puke

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
I just purchased mine, it'll arrive in the end of October. (29th).

Get it now. Playing the waitinggame is just wasting time. It's a very nice machine. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.