When to buy MacBook Pro retina??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomh12345, Feb 18, 2015.

  1. tomh12345 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    #1
    Birthday is coming up on the 28th Feb and I have the choice to get a MacBook Pro either then or later in the year before I go to university. Just wondering what the likelihood of the specs being upgraded between now and September? Basically should I buy one now or wait till later in the year? Cheers.
     
  2. TLmac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2015
    #2
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I've read that the new ones will be coming out in Early June. That's about the same time I will be financially ready to buy. I'm looking at getting a rMBP. Probably refurbished thru Apple (to save $$). My budget will be about $15-1800. I am guessing a new one would be more :eek: than my budget so for me, that will be the determining factor!

    So I'd be interested in what others have to suggest! ;)
     
  3. tomh12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    #3
    I think I have to give my parents around £500-750 towards it from my savings account.. My mum wants me to get it for my birthday but I don't think she understands how ****** I'll feel it I buy the new one and then a month or two later they release a new one:L If my computer wasn't so bad id probably be more inclined to wait:L
     
  4. x34 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2014
    #4

    when you need it.
     
  5. tomh12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    #5
    Need it ideally by September, defiantly before October. I wouldn't be so desperate to get one if it weren't for my computer (so slow). But if there's rumours of an update in june July ish I'll just wait
     
  6. kraven macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2008
    #6
    I think I'm in the similar situation as you. I just posted this: (link updated and in the right sub-forum)

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20764534#post20764534
     
  7. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2014
    #7
    If you need it in September or October, I'd wait.

    I normally suggest buying right away, but if you can wait, why not get the latest model?

    From this forum it seems like the MBPr will be much better because it will have broadwell, which should be nice.
     
  8. Sickly Grin macrumors member

    Sickly Grin

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    #8
    I would wait. If you need it before October, chances are Apple will have already released the new version with the Broadwell processors and overall better specs by then.
     
  9. mkasu macrumors member

    mkasu

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2010
    Location:
    Japan
    #9
    What are the odds for them to be released earlier than June/July?

    My story: I sold all of my Apple devices around half a year ago to test out current-gen Windows and Android devices.
    Turns out, I can't really stand using them one more minute, and am really looking forward to enhance my productivity again by switching back to a MacBook. Probably something 15" - might as well choose the high end model because it'll probably stay with me my whole PhD, which I start some time next year.

    I'm really on a fence right now. If new ones would come in April or so, I'd probably wait, especially if Broadwell has some noticable differences like battery improvements. June or July (availability everywhere etc, I'd buy in Germany with EDU discount) would probably mean some months of unproductivity and being annoyed by Windows 8.1 during my Master's thesis ;).

    Is there anything to expect from the new 15" high end model except "some battery and probably some more % CPU in benchmarks"?
    I mean, RAM and SSD storage probably reached its limit for a while - as in, they probably won't give us 1TB SSDs non-BTO so quickly.
     

Share This Page