When to buy Macbook Pro (Yes i've read the guide)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Denk, May 23, 2009.

  1. Denk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #1
    So I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro for college, but i want to get the best one I can. The update cycle says "Neutral - Mid Cycle" yet it says it is past the average number of days before an update. I have been reading this website and it seems like there will be a processor and possibly graphics card update by November of this year. I will be starting college in August but I have a laptop i can use until November if this is the case. I am planning on getting the best of the best, but if the best of the best is going to get better by November, maybe I should wait?

    My question is basically this: Should I wait until November? Is it likely that there will be an update by then? Thanks for the help!
     
  2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

    AppleNewton

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Location:
    1 Finite Place
    #2
    definitely depends on your immediate needs, if you need it for college and you dont start until august you should be fine to hold off and november wouldnt be too far away (if the guide were to be true).
    Basically updates can happen anytime between now and then and im sure theyll probably be sooner than November.

    Perhaps a CPU speed bump and GPU update.
    I'd say wait til august to decide no need to rush if you have something that can hold you over.
     
  3. Gianlusp macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2009
    #3
    Hi,

    I bought my First mac Book pro 17 Unibody just 3 hours ago from New Orleans Apple store....finally...I got it...
    I don't want think about updates...I just thinking to unpack it!!!
    If you fell to buy ...buy it!!

    It's very nice machine!:apple:
     
  4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #4
    If you wait until November, you won't get the back to school promotion, usually a free iPod. The BTS promotion hasn't started yet, so don't buy one today either. Of course, new iPods will come out in September just after the BTS promotion ends, so that's something to consider if you want the latest iPod.

    Another rumor to consider is that Snow Leopard will probably be released later this year (I would guess by this fall), and if you wait you will get it for free instead of having to pay for an upgrade.

    If you don't mind using your old laptop until November or later (rumored updates are never certain) and you don't want a free iPod, and you don't want to pay for SL, then wait. Otherwise, get one once the BTS promotion starts.
     
  5. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #5
    if you can wait, then wait until it gets updated
     
  6. TSE macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    #6
    I would wait until a month before you go to college if they already update the MacBook Pros, just incase something is wrong with it so you don't have to deal with anything right when you go to college.
     
  7. otis123 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 4, 2006
    #7
    you can play the waiting game forever, but the current systems out now are top notch. The mobile i7 could be out by late this year, if your going to wait, wait until the macbooks have core i7 processors before buying.
     
  8. UniPro macrumors regular

    UniPro

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #8
    Whether or not the mobile i7's come out this year or not remains to be seen but Apple will not be putting them into their Pro line anytime soon. Look at the Intel road map before posting such a ridiculous idea.
     
  9. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

    DoNoHarm

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Maine
    #9
    if you can wait until snow leopard, then you dont' need a new comp in the first place! I'd wait until the school promotion for the ipod and sell it on ebay asap.
     
  10. Denk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #10
    Thanks!

    Thank you! I didnt even think about snow leopard, so that might be worth it for me! The point about the back to school deal is a great one, but not for me. I wont be using any of their deals because i have connections already haha, but it is a great point for others! Since i have a laptop that i can use for a while, i guess ill just wait for snow leopard!

    Quick question: Can anyone say for sure if the hardware updates (processor and graphics card or whatever) will come before or after the update to snow leopard?
     
  11. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

    u49aa2

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Location:
    Between Heaven and Hell
    #11
    People really make me laugh when they advise an OP to hold from buying a machine that cost more than 4000 dollars just to get free iPod that costs $200. Come on guys we are talking about a mac user not an acer or a dell :cool:
     
  12. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

    pellets007

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2009
    Location:
    New York
    #12
    Well, no one will know for sure. I assume that if we see nothing at WWDC (next month), we won't see a revision until after Snow Leopard or perhaps alongside it.

    That's 5% of the price. At best, it could be 10% of the price, that's worth waiting a month for in my opinion.
     
  13. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

    u49aa2

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Location:
    Between Heaven and Hell
    #13
    Yeah, but somebody who wants to buy the best specs, will be more concerned if the machine he/she buys is upgraded 1 months after the purchase than a cheap iPod.

    i.e if you ask me, to choose between a guarantee of having the best machine available in the market for 1 years (minimum six months) or getting an iPod and a machine that will be upgraded in few weeks. Obviously i will choose the former option.
     
  14. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    #14
    apple comes out with newer and better stuff every few months. so its impossible to buy the ultimate macbook pro. as far as major updates the macbook pro just got a pretty big update and apple usually hold their designs for a couple years.

    try to buy your new macbook pro during the summer because every year they have a back to school deal where they give you a free ipod if you buy a mac.
     
  15. infernohellion macrumors 6502

    infernohellion

    Joined:
    May 14, 2006
    Location:
    København
    #15
    If I were you I would wait. Simply because the WWDC is coming soon in less than a month and also the likelihood of them updating the product line. I wouldn't buy either the 15 or 17. Wait a month or two. You won't regret the wait.
     
  16. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #16
    On the other hand, the likelihood of a major change in the next six months is fairly negligible. I'd definitely wait for the OS upgrade, but waiting after that, well... although it will obviously, eventually, result in a faster system, but that's gotta be balanced against not having a nearly-as-fast system for the months you've waited.
     

Share This Page