When to buy new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by g.man, May 25, 2008.

1. g.man macrumors newbie

Hi

I was just about to purchase a new Mac Pro right after the "early 2008" models came out with the Harpertown processors, when a guy I know told me to wait for the new release which was rumored for May 2008. The reason he said was an 'Included Blue-Ray read/write' disk drive.

Does anyone know if this is correct and/or when the Mac Pro's are due for an update?

Thanks
    G

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your guy knows nothing. Now would be good. January post-Nehalem would also be good. October to January would not be good.

Any Apple Blu-ray drive would be $700+. The HDCP update will be for all Macs, anyway, so you could use any Blu-ray drive after that comes out.

Like me. I got a BD-RE/HD DVD-ROM drive and will be putting it in my Nehalem Mac Pro.

3. iGothic Pro macrumors newbie

why not just get a non-mac laptop with the bluray stuff you want

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You can already put a bluray drive in a mac pro... if thats what youre waiting for.

Do not think that you will save money by waiting for Apple to supply one as a custom option. They dont give deals, they charge like 5 times more than what it would cost if you bought it yourself. I bet the only reason they dont include them now is because they cant realistically charge someone $2000 for a $400 bluray drive.

5. g.man thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies guys.

What you say makes sense. Going on what they want to charge people for RAM and extra hard drives, the blue-ray option would probably be extortionate. I was just told that they might make it standard. Probably wishful thinking. Steve Jobs does however have investments in the blue-ray format. So I bet Apple 'could' give us the drives included pretty soon, but are more likely to want to sell.

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Can you actually use a blu-ray drive in Mac OS X now then, last I heard there was no software for it.

Going by the last time, the next major update of the Mac Pro wont likely be until summer 2009.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can use Blu-ray for movies in Windows and data in OS X. The Nehalem Mac Pros should come out at MacWorld '09 in January.

8. techDot macrumors newbie

I would wait just a bit longer...

...as there are supposed to be new Apple product announcements (including some possible changes specifically to the MacBook Pro line) on the WWDC conference on June 9th.

you may be better off waiting those extra few days to see the product improvements/changes...
    Its possible your wishes may be answered...;)

9. semiconstructiv macrumors newbie

I'm confused on why people believe every apple product, apple has ever made is gonna get a update on wwdc:confused: oh, well people like to wish i guess.

10. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I would definitely wait till the early 2013 64 core models with the mind link.
    AWESOME!

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Because those people just got here, read 2 or 3 threads over the past month, and regurgitate bad info and baseless rumours.

If a lot of people say "It's supposed to come out soon....", does that mean anything to Apple's R&D team? What people say here doesn't relate to what Apple is actually developing at the moment. Just read the front page of MacRumours if you want the actual rumours, since these rumours have been through Arn's filter and scored low on his BS-meter. Everything else you hear was just made up on the spot, doesn't get posted because it's too stupid to post (but not too stupid for people to disbelieve), and should be viewed as entertainment of some sort. Look at the source of the information. Is there a source? Is it reliable?

12. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Gotta agree with you on that one. All this "wait until xxx" BS is starting to get on my nerves too.

There will always be a better, faster, less expensive computer "just around the corner". If you need a computer now, buy it now. If you can wait, then the next model will definitely be "better".

13. Petey07 macrumors member

That's true I agree with you with that, People tell me I should wait off, But from what I see, The laptop that I want, It's more than I wanted. In probably 4-5 years, I will upgrade it with a newer and better computer/laptop.