When to buy new Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rogueleader81, May 22, 2009.

1. rogueleader81 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am interested in getting a Macbookpro for college and I'm pretty set on the 15 inch screen one. I am originally a PC user but I wanna try mac for my next laptop cause most of my friends all think it's better, especially for work. So my question is when I should get one? College doesn't start till late August so I'm in no hurry. But I do want to get one just to learn the OS and just mess around with it cause I love computers and just any new tech. And my only concern with getting one now is that I don't want anything significantly newer or better coming out in august and being upset with myself about why i didn't just wait. Cause I know new stuff usually gets launched in August. So should I get one soon or wait till later?

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Back-to-school sale should start in a few weeks. You get a free iPod. Wait for that.

4. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

Are you familiar with Apple's Back to School promotion they do every year? Basically you'll get a free ipod out of the deal if you wait for the back to school sale. I would say definitely wait until then, but if you need a laptop for school in August I wouldn't put it off past that.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wait for the back-to-school promotion. You can get a free printer! :)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In addition to a free iPod...

It'll more than likely be the Touch once more.

7. beck0892 macrumors newbie

does this education one apply to Australian Residents?

8. rogueleader81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well, about the back to school sale. I am actually gonna get the computer from Best Buy not Apple. This is because I bought a PC from Best Buy a long time ago and their policy is that if a problem consists after 3 repairs I get a new computer of my choice. And my problem has been going on forever so they said I can get a new CPU whenever I want. So I'm not actually sure Best Buy offers that sale. But I'll definitely look into the back to school sales they might offer. Also if anybody knows the details of the Best Buy protection plan policy vs. Apple's protection plan please let me know which is better. Because even if I buy the computer from Best Buy I'm pretty sure I can get the protection plan from Apple.

Thanks

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

you always get a free printer

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

..get the best buy and applecare protection plans on your new MBP then for the best of both worlds:D

11. nutritious macrumors 6502

whenever you need one unless an update is imminent...

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes it does :) you can get a nice discount on all products, as long as your a uni student at participating unis.

13. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I wish. But in Australia students go back to school in late January not like in the US.

14. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Really?? :eek: No way. What about staff who are normally entitled to Educational Discount? Oh, and in how many weeks? :D

15. TRunkAmps&8008s macrumors newbie

TRunkAmps&8008s

Does anyone know if Apple will allow you to substitute the free iPod for a discount of equal value? In other words, I have no use for another iPod, but I'd like the retail value of it taken off the purchase price of an iMac?

16. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I don't think so... most people, if they don't want/need the iPod end up selling it. In that way they end up getting a "discount".

17. TRunkAmps&8008s macrumors newbie

TRunkAmps&8008s

Thanks for the reply Stony; I was hoping to avoid the hassle, but hey, I'll gratefully take what I can get.
    To the OP; since we're looking at a matter of weeks for the freebie, I'd wait for sure.
    BTW: does anyone know if you can get the free iPod & the education discount when purchasing new iMac?

18. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

No, you can't do that. Apple does this to reduce inventory of products that are about to be updated. Here are the details of last year's promotion:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._touch_back_to_school_promo_now_official.html

19. macgrl macrumors 65816

Unless you need one before which you don't seem to, wait until the back to school promo.:)

20. rogueleader81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I may be wrong, but hasn't Apple already released their back to school sales? Isn't it the free ipod touch thing they have? So if it is the sale there wouldn't be a point to wait any longer.