When to buy Refurb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcorbin, Sep 8, 2013.

1. dcorbin macrumors newbie

I'm planning on buying a refurbished MacBookPro from the Apple store. I've been pondering it for a while, and ones that meet my requirements are not VERY common (not that I've been real diligent in checking), though there are several acceptable ones there now.

The question is, with an update to the MacBookPro's "expected" in October, will that result in a price drop for older equipment in the store. Will it create an influx of "recent hardware" in terms of supply for the store?

I do know I run a risk of not having what I want available, but I'm trying to gauge that risk, as well as save money.

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Eventually......

that influx will be created in the refurb section. But can take 2-3 months to first see new and just replaced hardware, IMHO.....

:):apple:

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

The refurb store is odd sometimes. Things come and go, and some models aren't in the store at all, and then sometimes they show up and stay for months. Newer models sometimes don't show up for six months or more. If you think of the whole idea of a refurb, they have to be out and available and then go through the refurb process.

I have found, rarely but it happens, refurbs direct from the physical stores. I don't know if they still do that, but it was interesting. They were open box returns and were sold for the list price minus the return charge. Odd that if you return a refurb to the store they don't skim another return charge off the returned item.

As to the quality of the refurb units, I've only had one go bad and Apple replaced it with a new out-of-box unit right there because the symptoms were bad enough... I didn't even have to ask.

4. Yell0w macrumors regular

this year's model for retina is already in the refurb section.

5. LostMoose macrumors newbie

LostMoose

I've bought a few things from the apple refurb store- It's definitely a great option if you are willing to play the waiting game to find what you want. And I, in my personal experience, feel that apple is pretty solid when it comes to taking care of their hardware (in terms of repair or replacement). Mostly within their specified warranty period, but sometimes even after it expires.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have bought refurb computers, and iPads and have been more than happy with the service and products.

When buying refurb, bear in mind that the product may not be the latest generation, and, also, that the specific model (or specifications) that you wish t buy may not necessarily be available at that time. So, in a way, you may end up spending time (as in waiting for weeks for the precise model you wish to buy to be offered in the refurb store) in order to save money.

Thus, the 'costs' are perhaps spending time, and perhaps having to accept a version of the technology which may not be the very latest.

The benefits are a considerable discount, and all of the warranties that Apple offers on a brand new product.

As to when is the best time to buy, the answer is that I would recommend thst you buy whenever you need to buy.

Personally, I tend to ignore the 'expected' cycles, and plan to buy a few months before my Applecare expires.