When to Buy Refurbished MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DMC-12, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I've finally decided on a refurbished MacBook Pro over a MacBook, now my only issue is when to buy. I want to get a refurbished SR 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro ($1,700), but I've set a firm limit on the price ($1,500) of the refurbished 2.16 GHz MBPs.

I figured that because the latest version, refurbushed, goes for $200 of the retail price, and because the second to latest version goes for $400 off of current retail, once new MBPs get released, refurbished SR MBPs will come down $200 to $1,500.

I had assumed that this would happen sometime after Macworld (although I would have to wait until the next gen. MBPs went to the refurbished store for the drop to take effect). But now it seems like maybe only a new ultra-portable MBP will be released in January, and this would not theoretically have an affect on the prices of the current MBPs in the refurbished store.

So should I wait until January to see if new MBPs are released, bringing down the refurbished price of the current models, or buy now, assuming that the events of Macworld won't affect the current refurb prices for a long time, if ever in the near future.

I am interested to see what happens as far as multi-touch goes on the new models and how much the game is changed in January before I make a decision. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Or maybe I should just buy a new MacBook now... :eek:

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It takes Apple quite a while to update their refurb store after an upgrade. And since at the beginning there are no refurbs of the new model there is no reason to lower their price, especially since they sometimes send out new computers when you order refurb right after an update.

4. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

That last bit really is the best reason to wait awhile. My point in going after a refurb is to GET a REFURB, i.e. a machine that came back in from being DOA or the lid was out of plumb or whatever and and so it has been remanufactured to spec and run thru the QA (again or for the first time!) by someone who showed up that day with enough caffeine on board to make it all the way to the bottom of the checklist. Their refurbs have a good rep and I really think they take extra care when they QA them.

Of course I once persuaded a sibling to spring for a refurb which turned out ok in the end but only after several trips to local auth'd Apple-repair. So maybe I've just been very lucky!

5. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Aren't you buying a specific machine when you order a refurb? How would you get a new computer?

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

When the new version of a model is announced, the unsold inventory goes to the refurb store.