When to buy Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pro393, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Pro393 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've waited till the WWDC with hopes that they introduce updates to the hardware line, but I don't see any yet.

I want to buy the Time Capsule, and was wondering if now is a good time or whether I should wait.

Also, a few questions with the TC:

1. Is the 18-months blowout issue addressed?
    2. If it doesn't backup Windows, can it still be used to store my music library and share with my home network (irrespective of OS- I have a Windows 7 desktop and MBP)

Is there anything else I should know with the TC? I'm looking for hassle-free wireless network for my home. I have an Airport Extreme, but want to update it to something with a hard drive capability (and I d.on't want to simply stick a drive into it through USB)

Thanks a lot!

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If I may ask, why don't you want to attach a USB drive to your AEBS? That's the best way if you want it to be a multi-use network drive. I have a WD 1TB Passport attached to mine, and I have it partitioned 3 times, one for Time Machine, 1 for Music and Movies, and 1 for a full bootable clone of my hard drive in case I want to boot off it. Works wonderfully and doesn't take too much space on top of my book case.

I'm not sure if you can partition the TC hard drive to different file systems, but either way, the AEBS and USB drive is a better way to go, especially if you want interchangeable storage.

3. Pro393 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey
    I've had immense amounts of trouble with stand alone usb drives - my seagate 120GB cranked out on me, and I lost very valuable data.
    I have read that an integrated solution is the most reliable way to go.

If not, then what would be a stable hard drive to use with the Extreme? Something that doesnt heat up, and can remain turned on for ~20 hours a day

4. macguy78 macrumors member

I somewhat agree with DeusInvictus7. I don't have a specific hard drive recommendation for you but would also recommend going with leveraging the USB port on the airport extreme for storage. However, the most important thing to do is to backup your data on another physical disk. I would recommend 2 external USB HD's - one for your media and the other for running time machine.