When to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by creepy crab, Jun 29, 2011.

  1. creepy crab macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #1
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Hi all,
    After much thought i've decided to go for a 27" imac :) i already qualify for the educational discount, but i've heard apple often introduce extra bonuses towards the end of august such as cheap upgrades, free ipods etc... Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this will happen this year, or is their current offer of £65 istore vouchers all theyre gonna give? I'd be sore if i bought now and missed out! Cheers
     
  2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #2
    Idk where you heard that, but the B2S promotion is the only deal Apple is going to offer this summer. Buy now!
     
  3. iLucas macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Location:
    Indiana
    #3
    Yes, go ahead and buy now. Apple will not release any more discounts in August.
     
  4. Apple 26.2 Contributor

    Apple 26.2

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    Location:
    What up, 212?!
    #4
    iStore? Do people just make up vocabulary? [Not getting on you, OP, just that there's a lot of made up stuff out there...]

    Back to the thread: Buy now! Doubt you'll regret it.
     
  5. jtmacb macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2004
    Location:
    Triangle, NC USA
    #5
    I just bought a new 27 inch iMac today.

    I too decided there was simply no reason to wait any longer. I've been using the last great PPC G5. I souped it up with two 1 TB drives, 16 gigs of RAM and it still seems so slow compared to what I see at my local Apple store here in Raleigh, NC.

    My biggest question has to do with all of my PPC applications. I know MA is supposed to move everthing over but is there a one stop shop for submitting all of my PPC programs to find out which ones have already been ported to Intel. If just knew in advance which ones would work on my new iMac and which ones wouldn't I could start obtaining the newer versions while I wait for my iMac to arrive.

    Is there any program or website that will do this for me? I have Version Tracker Pro but I don't know how it would tell me if there is an Intel version of a program that runs on a PPC Mac.
     
  6. skier777 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    #6
    iTunes + App Store = iStore?
    Makes sense since the voucher can be applied to either.

    Also agree, buy during the summer, you wont get another promotion until next year.
     
  7. maclaptop macrumors 65816

    maclaptop

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2011
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #7
    By all means wait, do NOT buy now. You will want the system with the new LION OS on it when it comes out. That way you are assured it's tested and you have the newest components in your computer so you have 100% compatibility. I've learned this lesson the hard way... WAIT. you will be so happy you did and you will save so much money. You will save so much frustration and all that goes with it.

    Wait until LION comes loaded on the model you want and then buy it. You will have the latest and it will be a current model for much longer than if you but what is soon to be outdated.
     
  8. blue22, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

    blue22 macrumors 6502a

    blue22

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2010
    #8
    dodgy advice...

    Sorry dude, but the advice you're offering doesn't make much sense at all.

    #1) The iMacs were just updated less than two months ago with Sandy Bridge processors, so why would you wait any longer to buy an iMac at this point?! It'll be at least 7 months before another significant refresh of the line happens!

    #2) Also, why wait for OSX Lion when you can have BOTH Snow Leopard and Lion if you buy an iMac right now? Apple is offering Lion FREE to anyone who buys a new Mac between now and when Lion is officially released. The benefit of approaching it this way is that you can still hold off on installing Lion if you need/want to run any Rosetta based apps until you find suitable replacements for those apps to run in Lion.

    So, unless you're just taking the piss on the OP, I think you're offering bad advise.

    In short: If you are ready to buy now then BUY NOW as the iMacs were just recently updated, you'll be offered Lion free once it's officially released, and you can take advantage of the current $100 App Store gift card Apple is offering until September (if you qualify for it) as that will be the only "extra" you're going to see until next summer.
     
  9. creepy crab thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #9
    Thinking about it... by waiting untill LION comes preinstalled, won't it save time and hassle if/when i have to do a system reinstall? because then the imac will revert to factory default settings right? Obviously the hardware won't change but waiting for it to be shipped with LION might have minor benefits.
     
  10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Location:
    Winnipeg, MB
    #10
    No, an upgrade will be done that will retain everything you have on the computer. Waiting gives the added benefit of being able to wait until 10.7.1 and not having to workaround any bugs that might be discovered.
     

Share This Page