When to buy...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kurios91, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. Kurios91 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto
    #1
    See, I'm debating when to get my MacBook Pro. I'm going to get the higher-end model (2499 15").

    I can probably get mine in early May. But im debating if I should wait until the **rumored** update is released in June / July / August...

    What exactly do you think is coming in the update? Better processor, and what else? Perhaps a case-redesign? Something else maybe?

    I will use my MacBook for gaming mostly (WoW addict here :[ ) and a lot of Photoshop work. MSN and all that jazz ofc, but those are easy on any computer...

    So what would be the benefit in waiting vs getting it in May? Because I'd have lots of fun on it during May / June / whenever else, but if the update provides a decent little upgrade to the machine that is worth waiting, of course I'd wait.

    I currently am using some PC computers that run fine, so I have no... *need* for it, its just the want thats getting me...

    So what do you guys all think?

    -K
     
  2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

    basesloaded190

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #2
    your going to get a lot of answers that go something like "if you need it now get it, but if you can hold off, its always nice to get something when they first come out" so it all depends on your needs
     
  3. Kurios91 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto
    #3
    Well, I don't really NEED it now, it's just I'd really like to have it and I'd have a lot of fun out of it. But if waiting will bring some significant upgrades to it, then I'd wait a couple months.

    What I'm really wondering is whats the chance of a product refresh and what's the most likely that that refresh will bring?
     
  4. TEG macrumors 604

    TEG

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2002
    Location:
    Langley, Washington
    #4
    The next revision will include new cooler running processors at higher speeds. That is all we know for sure.

    As for waiting, if you can, then do. If you cannot, don't. In reality, most Apple Systems will do fine for about 5 years.

    TEG
     
  5. scott9s macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #5
    Great hypothetical question.

    I was in the same predicament late Fall. It was all assumed, the MBP would be refreshed. didn't happen. then Jan, everyone assumed it would be refreshed. didn't happen. then throughout Feb, this week, this week.

    You'll could be waiting a long time. Don't assume just cause some forums post that it will be June that it will actually be June. It's all a guess, because Apple does not disclose their roadmaps.
     
  6. Kurios91 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto
    #6
    Well, whats likely to be upgraded in the refresh?

    And also, I'd probably wait 'til June actually... For the free gift :cool: .
     
  7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #7
    buy now! if you don't enjoy your experience in 14 days, return it and just pay the 10% ( 249).
    it's like paying $17/day.. and you can abuse the machine!
    i mean run it for 24 hours, push the limit of the videocard..
    run benchmark etc..

    in the end, you had an MBP even for a week..
    and you sastisfied an " itch":D

    then some lucky MAc Fan will buy your MBP on the refurbs store at a discounted price.

    Everybody wins!
     
  8. Kurios91 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto
    #8
    How long after the announcement of a product refresh does it usually take to get the shipping out to Apple Stores?
     
  9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #9
    same day.
    feb 26 was the announcement.
    same day, new MBP were available here at CT
     
  10. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #10
    Well he will end up paying for that "discount"
     
  11. gothamm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    #11
    i'd wait until wwdc. if nothing gets announced there, then i'd go ahead and bite the apple.
     
  12. DaveF macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Location:
    NoVA
    #12
    My 1st rule of computers: The best time to buy a computer is always tomorrow.

    I suppose I should update it with this caveat: if your current computer has died, the best time to buy is today.
     
  13. Kurios91 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto
  14. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #14
    If you buy now I would get the base model 2.4Ghz and not the $2499 model. You're paying $500 for an upgrade that's barely worth more than $100. The 8600M GT 512MB is not going to be any faster than the 256MB model. A card in it's class can't use 512MB of VRAM because it doesn't have a wide enough memory bus or high enough bandwidth.
     
  15. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #15
    I was going to say what burning grave said.

    Also you won't notice the difference between the 2.4 and the 2.5... If could get a 17 with 2.4 I would have.
     

Share This Page