When To Cancel AT&T Data Plan...?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TrentS, May 10, 2012.

1. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

Ok, I started my AT&T data plan on April 11th, to test it out, make sure it actually worked. I now know it works and all, so I want to cancel it, at least until I need it again in the future. The data plan says this cycle ends 05-11.

Question is, when exactly should I cancel the plan, before the automatic roll to the next month happens? The day before, which would be today, or can I still cancel it tomorrow, on the 11th?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. donnaw macrumors 65816

I usually cancel mine a few days after I initialize it. I have read that you shouldnt wait until the day of renewal. By that time it's already in their renewal mode and can't be stopped. The posts I remember said to cancel at least a week before the renewal date. The only time I cancelled and then needed to keep it at that moment I simply went into the account and redid it the day it stopped.

Call AT&T and see what they say.

I will say that I set up an event on my calendar. That way I can reset the usage data even if I haven't renewed. When I reset up the data I set another event 1 month later.

3. xraytech macrumors 68020

You should have canceled earlier.

Cancel it now cross your fingers.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

According to ATT's billing it's two hours before renewal. I'd do it now though. From the ATT Purchase confirmation you were sent:

REMINDER: The 30 day period begins to expire immediately upon purchase, whether or not you are using the service. If you purchase a Domestic iPad Plan with a data usage allotment and you use all of your allotment prior to the expiration of the 30 day period, your access to our Data Services will cease for the remainder of the 30 day period. If you want to continue using our Data Services during the remaining 30 day period, you will need to purchase an additional iPad Plan by going to Settings > Cellular Data on your iPad and selecting from available options. If you purchase an additional iPad Plan, the 30 day period, including the 30 day automatic renewal period, will change to the date and time you purchase the additional iPad Plan. Domestic iPad Plans include the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.

DOMESTIC iPAD PLANS WILL AUTOMATICALLY RENEW EVERY 30 DAYS, AND YOU AUTHORIZE US TO CHARGE YOUR CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD FOR YOUR INITIAL AND ANY SUBSEQUENT iPAD PLAN, UNLESS YOU CANCEL THE AUTOMATIC RENEWAL OF YOUR SERVICE. TO CANCEL AUTOMATIC RENEWAL, GO TO SETTINGS > CELLULAR DATA ON YOUR IPAD AND SELECT CANCEL PRIOR TO YOUR NEXT SCHEDULED PAYMENT TO AVOID BEING CHARGED. IN ORDER TO PROCESS YOUR AUTOMATIC RENEWAL IN A TIMELY FASHION AND ENSURE YOUR CONTINUED USE OF THE SERVICE, AT&T WILL CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT CARD FOR THE AUTOMATIC RENEWAL APPROXIMATELY TWO HOURS BEFORE YOUR NEW iPAD PLAN 30 DAY PERIOD AUTOMATIC RENEWAL IS SET TO BEGIN. SHOULD YOU CANCEL AUTOMATIC RENEWAL AFTER WE HAVE CHARGED YOUR CARD BUT BEFORE THE AUTOMATIC RENEWAL PERIOD IS SET TO BEGIN (E.G. WE CHARGED YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR THE RENEWAL AT 7 AM ET FOR A 9 AM ET AUTO RENEWAL AND YOU NOTIFIED US TO CANCEL THE AUTOMATIC RENEWAL AT 8 AM ET), PLEASE CONTACT AT&T CUSTOMER SERVICE TO PROCESS A CREDIT FOR THE AUTOMATIC RENEWAL.

The terms for the AT&T 3G Data Plan for iPad™ have been revised. For updated terms, please see www.att.com/wirelesslegal and click on Session Based Wireless Data Services Agreement. Your continued use of the AT&T 3G Data Plan for iPad constitutes your acceptance of the revised terms.

Thank You,
    AT&T

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I cancel mine 5 minutes after I pay for it It still lasts the full 30 days and I haven't had a problem in almost 2 years of doing it previously with AT&T and now with VERIZON.

While it is not as important as it is with VZW you should choose "cancel later" when you cancel. If you choose "cancel now" you will have to recreate your account all over again. Either way you retain your data for the month but using "later" you don't have to recreate your account.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

Once you purchase the designated volume of data you're entitled to use it until it's depleted or 30 days passes, so canceling even a day after purchase doesn't mean you can't use it anymore.

7. TrentS thread starter macrumors 6502

TrentS

Bummer, Big Time.

I don't think there is an option "cancel later" on my screen. I will cancel it at my lunch break today.

Another question though. I can get 4G/LTE on my patio at home, but it won't work while inside my house. Can the 4G/LTE coverage area be THAT sensitive?! I mean, it's like 15 feet location difference, but with a roof over my head when inside. Can 4 walls and a roof be enough to hinder getting a signal? Does my gel cover hinder me getting the 4G/LTE signal as well?

:( :( :( :(

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yes, it's on the second screen after you select CANCEL PLAN. If not you have other problems like having a POSTPAID account and not PREPAID and you have to call AT&T and fully cancel the account and get a new SIM and set it up for prepaid.

As far as LTE, it is a radio signal so you may be far enough from the LTE tower that it won't get LTE indoors.

This is from Verizon but they should be the same as ATT:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

only if you have it set to automatically renew??

just go to the cell data in settings, login, and have it not auto renew

10. TrentS thread starter macrumors 6502

TrentS

Where??

Is there any site on the web where it shows all the locations of the cell towers nationwide? I'd like to see how close/far I am from them in my area.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Found this through google:
    http://www.cellreception.com/