When to charge an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Jul 21, 2012.

?

When to recharge the battery?

1. Only recharge at 0%

14 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Recharge at 40%-50%

22 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Recharge everyday regardless of how much battery is left

74 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I looked all over the internet, but everybody seems to have a different opinion on what's best. So what's best practice for charging the iPad 3.

1. Complete drain
    2. Drain to 50%
    3. Recharging everyday ( so about 80% )

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

For me, it is once every 2 nights. My schedule isn't that flexible as to allow me the luxury of allowing it to first drain all the way to zero (which can be in the middle of a school lesson). Typically, 2 days of regular usage drains the battery to ~20-30%. I then have it charge overnight as I sleep, as I know it definitely cannot last through another day. :)

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

As often as possible.

Your battery has a limited number of full discharge / full charge cycles. However this number is reduced when you let the battery go flat, as this shocks the battery.

Topping it up whenever you are comfortably near a charger will prolong its life.

You cannot overcharge the device, and there is no harm in using it while plugged in.

4. reppans macrumors member

5. Virinprew, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

Virinprew macrumors 6502

I want my iPad to be ready for all-day usage every time I pick it up. What is the point of 10-hour battery if you find yourself with 50% battery iPad most of the time?
    Besides, the battery in iPad count each fraction of charge as a fraction, not full charge. You can charge as many time as you want. But completely drain your iPad will permanently shorten its life.

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I usually charge mine a little bit after I get my 5% warning. If I was taking it out and knew that I needed it all day, I would probably plug it in every night but since it is at home all the time, if the battery gets low I just plug it in and leave it that way overnight...unless it is fully charged before I go to bed.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Just charge the bloody thing!

If you're that concerned try educating yourself at Apple.com

You'd be surprised at all the great info they provide for those who bother to look. They also have videos for those too lazy to read.

Isn't Apple Brilliant...ha...ha...ha :D

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I always charge mine when the batt % shows 15-20%.

9. TurnTronics macrumors member

Here is some information on Apple's website about iPad batteries.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Personally, I let my iPad drain to about 10% and charge it when I use it regularly. I let it completely drain till it powers off about every other month and then fully charge it. Here is a quote taken straight from Apple's website:

"Exercise Your Machine
    Lithium-ion polymer batteries need to be used for maximum performance. If you don’t use your device often, be sure to complete a charge cycle at least once a month."

10. quasinormal, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Cycling doesn't mean a complete discharge.

When Apple says complete one charge cycle per month, they are not telling you to discharge the battery completely. If you deplete your battery to 50% and recharge you have half a cycle. Do the same again and you'll have a complete cycle.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Apple's site has pages on battery care. You don't have to look all over the internet. As always, when researching, consider the source.

12. kokhean macrumors regular

Charge it at about 20%. Even with that little juice left, it can last you for at least one hour and more.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I put mine on the charger every night when I go to sleep. Sometimes it's low on power other times it not.

14. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I don't think it ever "goes flat" even at 0%. If it is like the circuitry in most cell phones when it says "0" and shuts down it's really at 15-20% for exactly the reason you stated. I think the batteries specs are intentionally underrated.

15. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Seriously? You missed the most relevant: somewhere around 15-40%. I.e. whenever it needs a charge. That's a week or two for me, while my iPhone usually ends up getting a booster charge in the car or at my desk midday, and always gets a charge every night.

16. Nezben macrumors newbie

Bad poll options.

I would vote 'between 0% and 20%'

17. dchao macrumors 6502a

Lithium Ion battery doesn't go flat, but as the voltage falls below 3.0V, iPad's onboard circuit will cut itself off. This is to prevent the Lithium Ion battery go into the Over-discharging state.

If you let the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit will kick in, and put the battery into the sleep mode (yep, 0V output from the battery terminals). This will render the battery unserviceable.

The correct way to charge your Lithium Ion battery is to charge it as soon as possible and as often as possible. Only do a full discharge/recharge when the battery indicator is no longer accurate (self calibrating)

18. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Usually nightly, sometimes every second night. I don't ever bother myself with things like this. What's the realistic difference between best practice and worst practice? In all honesty, I might get rid of this in 1-2yrs time for the next best iPad down the road, so selfishly speaking it won't really be my problem to deal with.

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

i charge it every 2nd night or so because it's taking forever to recharge and i dont want to run out in the middle of the day

20. iEvolution macrumors 65816

To summarize:
    - lower voltage charging increases life span but decreases max capacity per charge
    - heat is an enemy of longevity that is largely unavoidable, especially in devices that get warm during operation and those devices where the battery is not removable
    - ultra fast chargers should be avoided
    - wireless chargers add heat to the charging process
    - the shorter the discharge the longer the battery will last, frequent charging is better than waiting for the battery to get low.

21. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

i recharge mine at the end of each week whatever its at. once a month or so i make sure to drain it to 0

22. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

I recharge it at 0% and wait until it is at 100%.

23. bushido Suspended

bushido

thats the worst u can do to be honest

24. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I only have an iPad2 and thus did not vote. But, I generally charge mine when the battery is below 30% and I know I will not need it for many hours to let it get a full charge.

25. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

As per APPLE: http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

"For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."