when to charge iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dudeman74, Mar 16, 2011.

1. dudeman74 macrumors newbie

should i wait to charge until the battery is like 10-20% or just charge whenever I stop using it for awhile even if its like at 60%?

2. minttea macrumors newbie

It is not necessary to do that. Nowadays batteries do not have the "memory effect" that existed in old battery. You will not experience dramatic battery life difference. Also, the convenience factor of using it when you need it and charging when you want to also make it unnecessary to wait until battery is fully drained.

3. dudeman74 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, thanks. is it better to turn it off while charging or is that necessary either? i probably wouldn't be using it while charging.

4. minttea macrumors newbie

You can just leave it alone when charging. The screen will turn off by itself and you don't have to manually turn it off.

5. JayInNJ macrumors regular

Although no memory effect in Li ion batteries, all batteries do have a limited number of recharge cycles, before they start failing. Some are rated as 500 cycles, some 1000, which is why laptop and phone batteries always go after about a year or two. So I would avoid charging it unnecessarily, since it is not simple and cheap to replace the iPad battery.

6. nostaws, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

Macrumors Battery Guide

"A cycle is when the total battery power is less then 50% before it is recharged. The battery electronics monitor the status of the cells during use, and not cycling the battery at least once a week may cause the electronics to get false recordings. It is best to fully drain the battery before you charge it up again. Seeing a fully charged in your battery status monitor as 99% is a good indication to fully cycle your battery."

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just do not run it to dead and chargte it when you want to do so. Just enjoy and do not worry about it.

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

This info above is incorrect.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/