Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Is there a "usual" upgrade time for the Mac products, such as the MBA.
I'm looking, but would hate to buy something now only to miss something new and updated coming out in the near future.
I know none of this is written in stone, but I'm sure there is a "usual" upgrade time of the year.....
Thx.
Frank

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
People are waiting for Ivy Bridge from intel, and that's not due out until April/May. Add a month or two for apple to release it, so you're looking at the summer of 2012 to see a refresh of the MBA

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That would work out perfectly for me...But only if they bring out an MBA with a 15" screen and at least a 1TB ssd option+8GB of RAM (Prefer 16) Not asking for much am I? :D

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the 1TB SSD may be pushing things. I think that wold be outrageously expensive

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
That would work out perfectly for me...But only if they bring out an MBA with a 15" screen and at least a 1TB ssd option+8GB of RAM (Prefer 16) Not asking for much am I? :D

2 years from now? Definitely not. Today? I think you're pushing the price envelope beyond even Apple's comfort. :D The 1TB SSD is $1,100 retail today.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I was wondering if the new models are going to be an ALL NEW models . The current aluminum design has been around for a long time. I had my macbook that is late 2008 model , we are in 2012 and they still basically the same looks. I got no idea when the current aluminum design was released.

A friend of mine mentioned that they will have all new laptops, but I thought Apple wont change it. If its not broken, dont fix it

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The current aluminum design has been around for a long time.
The MBA is only three years old, I doubt very much if apple is going to make any changes to the enclosure. As to the use of the aluminum in of itself, I doubt they'll change that any time as well.

What are the alternatives, plastic - carbon fiber? The Alu looks sleek and is part of apple's signature design philosophy

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
What will Ivy Bridge do that Sandy Bridge isn't doing now??
Will a "normal every day user" like me notice any difference??
Frank

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
Frank

Probably not. It's estimated to be about 20% faster which isn't going to blow your cap off. Another factor to consider is that when Ivy Bridge is released, it's very unlikely that the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air updates will be released side by side. If history is any indication, it's likely that the MBP will be released first, which could push back the new MBA release by 3-4 months, putting it into late summer or even fall.

Keep in mind these are just the speculative ramblings of a deranged man, but I'd say buy now.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
The current aluminum design has been around for a long time.
ehh, nope, the current design was introduced in october 2010, the first generation of MacBook Airs had a different, rounder design.
Can't imagine a whole different design will be introduced in 2012 or maybe even in 2013.

I hope an update will be introduced in April/May,.. would be a great timing to trade in 11" (first gen 11")

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

If that does exist, expect to pay upwards of $4000 for it! You should add that it needs to have a retina display, a 20 hour battery, and fairy dust dispenser that lets you fly!

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I'd love to get a 15" model.
Hate to wait till summer though.
Hopefully something comes out earlier than later.
Frank

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd love to get a 15" model.
Hate to wait till summer though.
Hopefully something comes out earlier than later.
Frank

Not likely why would apple release new laptop or a refresh when Ivy Bridge is being prepped.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
Frank

On top of the ~20% performance boost, Ivy Bridge will also include the Intel GMA 4000 graphics card. This will allow the MBA to power two external displays (with the main display on as well). The current MBA is limited to one external display.

The GMA4000 will also be better at games, flash video, etc...

Ivy Bridge should also be better at battery life - so add on 30 mins+ (hopefully maybe another hour even) to the MBA's battery life.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
ehh, nope, the current design was introduced in october 2010, the first generation of MacBook Airs had a different, rounder design.
Can't imagine a whole different design will be introduced in 2012 or maybe even in 2013.

I hope an update will be introduced in April/May,.. would be a great timing to trade in 11" (first gen 11")

Actually the Unibody design has been around since 2008, and its 2012. that will make it about 3 years in october 2008 .

Apple used to released new designs much faster, I believe from 99-2006, which is 7 years, they released: Clamshell iBooks, Powerbook Titanium, white ibooks, macbooks, powerbook G4 aluminum, and Macbook Pro. So thats 6 models in 7 years.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Actually the Unibody design has been around since 2008, and its 2012. that will make it about 3 years in october 2008 .

Apple used to released new designs much faster, I believe from 99-2006, which is 7 years, they released: Clamshell iBooks, Powerbook Titanium, white ibooks, macbooks, powerbook G4 aluminum, and Macbook Pro. So thats 6 models in 7 years.

I see them sticking with unibody for quite a while. The 2010 revision was pretty significant. They redesigned the hinge, added a 2nd USB port, and the SD slot in the 13" model. They also redesigned the cooling system.

I think we're more likely to see a radical redesign of the MacBook Pro than the MacBook Air. The latter will likely get a processor boost and USB 3.0.

Last edited:

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Thoughts on how likely a 15" MBA is??
13" is tough on my "eyes."<g>
I need a 14-15" screen.
My 15" MBP is perfect screen size for me. It's just OLD.
Thx.
Frank

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
On top of the ~20% performance boost, Ivy Bridge will also include the Intel GMA 4000 graphics card. This will allow the MBA to power two external displays (with the main display on as well). The current MBA is limited to one external display.

The GMA4000 will also be better at games, flash video, etc...

Ivy Bridge should also be better at battery life - so add on 30 mins+ (hopefully maybe another hour even) to the MBA's battery life.

The HD 4000 (GMA is an extra chipset on the motherbord), an IGP on the same die as the CPU, offers 30% better performance then the HD 3000 in the Sandy Bridge. It's not because it'll be able to render 4096x4096 pixels, it'll be able to drive two external displays, without an external GPU. That'll depend on which Thunderbolt chipset will be used. If the same (Eagle ridge) is used as in current gen MBA, you wouldn't be able to daisy chain an extra display.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Actually the Unibody design has been around since 2008, and its 2012. that will make it about 3 years in october 2008
Yeah, but it's not "the same unibody design" They have changed it between the first 2 generations of MacBook air's and the last 2 generations.

I really hope they will stick with it for some time, the old titaniums and first generation macbook pro's all had problems, the current design doesn't have a lot of flaw area's, so I really hope they will not change it anytime soon. An improvement every now and than is nice, but not really necessary :)

mariocapo

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Las Vegas
The other benefit to waiting for Ivy is that it will natively support USB 3.0. That's a little bit of an incentive for me when waiting to upgrade my 2010 13" Air. It's why I skipped the '11 update. My '10 is no slouch either, so no need to hurry the upgrade.

cragmr

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Frank

Ivy Bridge adds native USB 3.0 support, something normal every day users will certainly benefit from, unlike Thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.