When to expect new Time Capsule???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by michaelrdaf, Aug 8, 2010.

1. michaelrdaf macrumors newbie

So I just went back to using Mac. My work had me using windows for the last 12 months, but luckily I no longer need to. However, my external HDD is NFTS formatted because my girlfriend uses it as well, and she puts movies on it, which exceeds the 4gb limit for the FAT32.

Therefore I'm looking at buying an external HDD that I can use with my mac and Time Machine. Furthermore I'm buying some stuff from SONOS (ZoneBridge hooked to a TC), to establish a wireless network. Therefore the best option seems to be buying a Time Capsule, because it should work really well with SONOS.

However the latest edition of Time Capsule it starting to show it's age. I haven't heard anything about an update, however some of you savvy Mac users might have. So my questions are:

When can I expect a new TC?

Any experiences with SONOS and TC?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

There have been no rumours about a TC update recently. In the past Apple silently update them without much fanfare.

If you need one I would suggest buying one. If a revision is going to occur any changes will be minor.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What would you expect from new TC? 2TB is currently the maximum (there is 3TB Seagate but not available as bare drive yet plus it's expensive) and it support 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless N so there isn't much that can be improved at the moment. I wouldn't expect a new one anytime soon

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...for the $$ of a 2Tb TC... I'd get a Synology or QNap NAS or a winHome server from HP...

If you want an apple product in the mix, get an Airport extreme base station to route it all thru...