When to expect New White Macbooks refurbished?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aery, Nov 27, 2009.

1. aery macrumors member

aery

I've wanted a Macbook for years now and I've only just found out about buying refurbished. It seems as though many people have had good experiences so I think that's the way I'll go to make this dream of mine a bit more feasible. In light of the fact that I have only been checking up on Apple's refurbished page for a few days now I'm wondering about how long it should take for the new Macbook to be sold refurbished? I did see the older Macbook on there for $799 CDN (gone now though) and I was seriously thinking about buying that but I'm also thinking that maybe I should just be patient and wait for the new one.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Worth waiting. The benefits of a unibody shell are priceless.

3. excommie macrumors regular

From my experience (I bought few refurbs), they always have them about 2 months after initial release. Hopefully for X-Mas they'll have them

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I have to agree with the poster above start loking near Dec. 1st and check it daily I love mine!

5. Ammo macrumors regular

Dunno if you have a Microcenter near you but they're offering a $200 rebate until December 6th. I took advantage of it, I love it.

And yes, the unibody enclosure is worth it.

6. chipandtoast macrumors member

Can you use the student discount at the store and then mail in the rebate?
    I guess I mean can you combine the discounts
    $999-50=$949-200 rebate=$749 total
    or do they only have student discount at apple store?

7. Ammo macrumors regular

They only have the student discount at the Apple Store, I believe.

But hey, this is better than the student discount. Still can't believe I got this for $800. Price wise it stacks right up there with PC technology.

8. aery thread starter macrumors member

aery

Ooh hopefully! That would be wicked :D

Also, how much is the usual price drop when macs first show up refurbished? $100 off? Cause the old MacBook is like $300 dollars off right now refurbished but I don't know if I'll be able to wait right up until the next release.

That's a sweet deal for sure! I'm pretty much stuck to the refurbished Apple store for the best deals because I live in Canada and we don't have many places that sell macs with discounts like those at Microcenter. I can't even take advantage of websites like Macmall or Macconnection because with shipping, taxes, and duties I'll probably end up spending more than I'm actually saving. It's ok though, just means a bit of waiting on my part. Thanks for the heads up anyway - I'm sure someone else will take advantage of the info!

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Nothing like having a machine with a case that triples the price of nearly any out of warranty repair compared to prior models!

10. excommie macrumors regular

I think the prior gens were discounted 150 early in the production cycle.

11. aery thread starter macrumors member

aery

So I caved and just bought the last model refurbished a few days after I first posted. I'm usually a pretty patient person but I guess I just couldn't wait to finally have a mac, especially seeing that I could actually attain one at the refurbished prices. Just as excommie said it would take about 2 months for the new models to show up refurbished, I just saw them up in the Apple store last week for $929 I believe it was. However, I have had my MacBook for just over a month now and I am very happy with it, especially to have paid $799 instead of $1099 CDN. The only thing that was really pushing me toward the new model was the 250HD but really 160GB is good enough for me, for now anyway - I had a 140HD HP laptop for the last three years and didn't fill it. While the unibody is nice, at least I'll be able to easily add more storage to my 'old' MacBook if need be. After using the glass trackpad on my uncle's aluminum MacBook I really would have liked that too, it feels great but no big deal. I'm sure my Mac will keep me happy for years to come, I'm glad I've made the switch. :)

Also have to join the many others in giving Apple's refurbished store a big thumbs up. I only wish I had known about it sooner!

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...its still a good machine and you can replace your HDD, RAM and batteries easier = all things that were positive and negatives on the new uMB's...(see my sig for the choice I made)...

13. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

They are dead silent never heard the fans or even the HD yet.My other Macbook is also much hotter:(