When to expect refurbished late 27'' 5k?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AlexGraphicD, Oct 26, 2015.

1. AlexGraphicD, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

AlexGraphicD macrumors regular

AlexGraphicD

Hi. In november I am moving to NY and I'd like to purchase a new iMac the late 27'' 5k, but I prefer if it was refurbished cause I want to save as much money as possible. Does anyone know when the late imac will become available for purchase as refurbished? Does it have to be a specific time after their launch in october, or as soon as someone returns a unit it becomes available instantly?

I currently own a:

mid '10
    21.5''
    3.6gz i3
    4gb Ram
    ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

I bought it 5 years ago outside of the US, but I was very let down after a few months cause I realised it was a defective machine. The problem was that on the upper left corner of the screen appeared some faint smudges like dust behind the glass.

I took it 3 times for service at an official apple center in my country while on warranty, the first time they only cleaned the area between the glass and the screen but the smudges were still there when I received it again, so I insisted that they changed the screen cause obviously it was defective. They replaced it once and the smudge was gone. But after some weeks, the smudges appeared again, so they replaced it one more time. The conclusion is that my warranty ended and the smudges appeared again and they remain until today.

2. Kappsi macrumors newbie

It usually takes like 3-6 months unfortunately.

3. AlexGraphicD thread starter macrumors regular

AlexGraphicD

Hmm..then I'll have to use the education discount from a friend that I have and he works as a teacher.

4. AlexGraphicD, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

AlexGraphicD thread starter macrumors regular

AlexGraphicD

I am thinking of buying the entry model with the m380 graphics card. I will be using my mac for photoshop, illustrator, web surfing and a bit of basic home video in imovie. No gaming, no 3d rendering or 4k video editing. Does anyone know if the m380 will be sufficient for those kind of tasks and handle well the 5k screen pixels without any lag?

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The M380 should be fine. There are people using both on a lot less capable hardware, and the M380 should be faster than the dGPU equipped 15" rMBP with the M370X. What you SHOULD look at is getting a flash storage or fusion drive upgrade.

6. AlexGraphicD thread starter macrumors regular

AlexGraphicD

Great thanks. :)
    Since apple charges so much money and I can't afford a 512gb ssd, would it be better buying an imac with 1TB hdd and later replace it with an SSD once the warranty expires? Is the total cost of buying an SSD and paying a technician to replace it for you the same as if you had bought it from apple from the get go?

Regarding fusion drives, I read a lot of negative reviews about them and the 24gb ssd is ridiculous and I don't want to have a spinning drive in my new mac.

7. Jason32 macrumors member

For photoshop and LR it should be fine, get an SSD and you should be ok.

8. AlexGraphicD thread starter macrumors regular

AlexGraphicD

Thanks a lot. :)