When to get an Ipad ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by beast260, Sep 22, 2010.


Get the Ipad now or wait ?

Poll closed Feb 19, 2011.
  1. Yes

    9 vote(s)
  2. No

    9 vote(s)
  1. beast260 macrumors member

    Aug 10, 2010
    Ive been thinking about getting an Ipad now but the apple persona in me is saying wait till February when apple releases the new version. Im not sure what do to .
  2. spinnerlys Guest


    Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    Do you need one now or can you wait till March or April 2011?
  3. beast260 thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 10, 2010
    have all the time in the world :cool:
  4. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Are the rumored upgrades important to you?
    Camera, etc?

    If not, buy now and start enjoying it
    If you really want the new rumored features, you might wait

    Or, you could buy now and sell when the new ones come out
    6 months of using an iPad is a long time

    * I love my iPad
  5. bluesteel macrumors 6502

    Apr 5, 2007
    wait to see what's next....that's what i'm doing. the tablet wars just started and prices are going to start dropping. i want one for internet mainly, so i'm not attached to getting an apple iPad. if apple drops its prices by a hundred or so dollars, i'll get an iPad generation 2, but if not, then i'm gonna wait to see what others are coming out with.
  6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020


    Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    I am waiting for a 2nd gen myself. I am thinking of selling my MBP next year, and purchasing an iMac and iPad to use on the couch while watching tv or sports. I rarely need the power or flexibility of a laptop....except for many flash sites I have visited lately:mad:
  7. Batt macrumors 65816


    Dec 17, 2007
    Syracuse, NY
    Now or wait, yes or no. How do you answer that? Either answer can apply to either question. I didn't vote, but buy it now.
  8. sn0wman72 macrumors member

    Apr 7, 2010
    I agree :)

    I would get the iPad now...6 months is awhile
  9. David G. macrumors 65816

    Apr 10, 2007
    Are you willing to go half a year without one when you could have one now, then sell it and recoup much of the costs?
  10. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040


    Sep 17, 2009
    ok as you said time is no object you got plenty of it and as you consider the iPad anyway money is no object either it seems , so get it and see what you can do with it

    i would not , as for not much more (at least here in the uk) you get a refurbished MacBook and for that money , the MacBook is far more usable as it offers a fully functioning operating system (snow leopard ) , i sill cant make out what it is for this iPad ,its not a laptop , its not even a netbook ,as it has no keyboard , so i put it in the category of ebook readers and satnav's ,but for the later its just to big to stick on the windscreen in front of you , so not much use as a car sat nav , maybe for hiking , but for that its not durable enough and a bit big too , so a ebookreader with some more functions , but maybe i am just to old as i cant even figure out what people need a smartphone for :confused:
  11. Giuly macrumors 68040


    Never buy old Apple hardware. Buy it right upon announce -> Wait like me for the iPad II.
  12. r0k macrumors 68040


    Mar 3, 2008
    I use my iPad constantly. I got it on April 3rd. I got an iPhone 4 this month. Would I have felt bad if I picked up an iPhone 3GS just before iPhone 4 came out? Yes I would. Would I feel bad about buying an iPad now versus waiting for next year? I don't know because I don't know the features just yet. But Apple isn't known for piddling around with upgrades. They tend to make meaningful, tangible upgrades for each product cycle. Knowing this, I would consider whether you need the iPad form factor now. For me, the biggest deal is not the capability of the iPad, especially in light of all the limitations of iOS 3.2, it is the form factor that I need. Consider the usage you would get. Six months of being able to web surf on the couch or in bed and the ability to sell it and get the new model if you feel you just have to have face time or retina display or whatever the new model comes out with.

    To me the lowest risk is to buy one now and enjoy it for 6 months because Apple gear tends to retain value. History suggests you will be able to get a decent amount for a used 6 month old first gen iPad even after the new one comes out and you won't be stuck 6 months using archaic form factor devices because you held off buying.

    Macrumors offers a "Buyer's Guide" and even when the status changes to "Don't buy, Updates Soon" the bottom line is if you need something you simply buy it when you need it. The buyer's guides is more intended to help people who might pick something up on impulse only to find a much better model comes out 31 days later.
  13. Batt macrumors 65816


    Dec 17, 2007
    Syracuse, NY
    Who says February? Who says new version? The only iPad is the current iPad, anything else is dreamware. No one can tell anything about a possible new version or a possible release date beyond "maybe some day". How long are you willing to agonize over this decision?
  14. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

    Jul 8, 2007
    I know, pretty funny. :)

Share This Page