When To Get Applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neteng101, Jul 8, 2009.

1. neteng101 macrumors 65816

So if I understand it correctly - Applecare is really for years 2 and 3 and the only thing one is missing during year 1 after 90 days is the phone support (which I really don't need). Should I just wait till the last month or two before getting Applecare?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why not just get it now? It's not going to cost you more or less.

3. suekitch macrumors regular

It's entirely your call! If you think you'll need the phone support for any reason obviously get it before that runs out, if not, the best idea is really just buying it when you can afford it i.e. you can stagger the cost a bit :)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm getting my AppleCare when my 90 days phone support ends (which will be in few weeks), because you never know when you have to call Apple and get some technical help. It doesn't really matter do you get it now or one day before your 1 year warranty ends because it's same price anyway. What I've heard is that AppleCare treats people with AppleCare better than people without, no matter are you in or out of 1 year warranty.

Get it as fast as you can and when your wallet lets you

5. neteng101 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks - just wanted to be sure I understood how it works correctly - I'd rather not spend the money unless it was needed right now, better to have more savings and only spend it when you absolutely have to. :)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You don't have to buy it if you don't want to. If you have spare money in your wallet right now, get it now.

7. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

One man's opinion....

Bite the bullet and get it. I have a Feb 2008 Macbook Pro and a 30" Apple cinema display. The MBP and the display have had the following done under Applecare warranty starting July 2008:

1. New logic/mother board
    2. Another new logic board
    3. New hard drive
    4. a replacement 30" display
    5. Another replacement 30" display

As the Nike adds say: JUST DO IT!

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

If money's tight and you could use the money now elsewhere, wait.

If money is not an issue, buy it now so that you don't forget and miss the deadline by 1 day and have your computer break on the 2nd day after your warranty expires.

If you're asking whether or not it's worth it - it most certainly is. I've completely replaced the hardware on my laptop (new HDD, new keyboard, new mobo, new screen). I've also replaced the power supply on my current iMac and imagine there will be something else to replace in the next 2-3 years.

9. intensee macrumors newbie

even if applecare is the same price, wouldnt it be better to wait like a month before the 1yr warranty ends because then you have 4 years instead of just 3 (with the overlap of the 1st year) if you buy it right when you buy your mbp?

10. 5280m macrumors member

applecare only extends your 1 year warranty to 3 years. it doesn't add 3 extra years.

11. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

If you need the phone support, buy it right away. Otherwise, buy it any time in the first year of ownership.

12. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

technically it only adds two years to your existing warranty, and those two years begin at the end of your 1 year warranty regardless of when the extension is purchased (assuming it is purchased PRIOR to the 1 year expiring... if the 1 year warranty expires, you can't extend it).

so if you purchased it today, you'd be covered until july 8th, 2010. If you got the extension 3 months from now, or 11 months from now, you'd be covered until july 8th, 2012.

13. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you don't need the phone support, it really doesn't matter when you get it. By the way, you can snag it on eBay for a lot less than what Apple sells it for if you didn't already know.

14. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

You can also be scammed on eBay. There's a huge thread about buying Applecare on eBay and how it can be revoked by Apple if they decide that it isn't valid later on.

15. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I usually advise people to buy Applecare, if they're going to, when they buy the computer. It seems like a small part of the total price then. It's up to you, but remember:

1. If you can't afford Applecare then you will not be able to afford fixing the computer after the one year warranty ends (unless you think you will be better off in a year).

2. Many people who intend to buy Applecare forget. If you miss the cut-off by even a day it is too late.

3. You can save money by buying elsewhere. However many people write that they have been burned on eBay. Try Amazon or L.A. Computer.

Best wishes.

16. mags631 Guest

For laptops, I generally buy it immediately. For desktops, I generally wait to decide if I really need the extra protection.

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I think that only applies to people who buy applecare on ebay and only receive a code. If you buy a sealed box, you can show the proof of purchase in the box.

18. Jamessinwest macrumors newbie

Get it ASAP. I've noticed if you have applecare, even if you are still under warranty, they seem to be more inclined to perform repairs. I once took my iPhone in for service and they guy told me he probably couldn't help me, then he looked me up and saw I had apple care and I got a brand new iPhone because I had two dead pixels. Keep in mind this was within the first year of complimentary coverage.

19. Secundinius macrumors newbie

If you need to wait a few month, pay a few bills, do so. Just pick it up before your 1 year runs out. You'll more then likely get faster service with it, then if you are a "paying customer" when it comes to service.

Still better then service you would get elsewhere, but it seems a bit *stupid* that you have to wait longer if you are actually paying out of pocket and they aren't giving you parts for free..... :mad:

/end rant :D

20. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

AppleCare on eBay is very hit and miss. I've bought my MBP and iPhone AppleCare on eBay last December and had no problems.
    It is a very risky procedure, so I would recommend buying from someone who will ship you the box if you decide to go this way.;)

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed get it now if you have the money.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I strongly recommend getting Applecare. As many posters have already said, if you can afford it, get it now, but at any rate, you must get it before the expiry of the one year warranty. If you fail to get Applecare within that first year, even if you miss it by a day, you will not be able to buy it.

I'd echo what has already been said about how if you cannot afford Applecare, it is unlikely you will be able to afford the cost of repairs should your computer break down out of warranty. Likewise, I agree with the many remarks suggesting that you be wary re buying Applecare on eBay; yes, it can work, but it is also home to many scammers.

Cheers and good luck

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't think it's like the golden ticket. If I was a Genius...oh the amount of drinking that would occur when I got home from work...