When to get MBP for college

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RRalston3, Jun 13, 2008.

  1. RRalston3 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2008
    #1
    Ok ok, i know this question gets asked a lot but here is the deal...

    OK so i want to get a mbp for college, i will be an engineer at Georgia Tech, i know that the whole college free ipod deal is going on but i want to know when i can expect the next huge update for a mac book pro... i have read rumors that they will be making some huge upgrades soon but i really want to get my mbp before august... it would be greatly appreciated if you guys could help me decide when the best time to buy is..

    thanks
     
  2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

    tMac85

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Location:
    in a great place
    #2
    there is a VERY small possibility for July. If not then, then sometime around septemberish.

    search the forums here and read up on what others say. This question is asked several times a day.

    good luck, and the MBP( current gen.) is a great machine. IF you need it just buy it now.
     
  3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2004
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    #3
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    Go jackets!!! As a Tech Grad who lived off a PowerBook while I was there, I would like to say congrats on choosing one fine educational institution. I personally would reccommemd waiting until just before you need it. Like a week before you go back. I suspect that we will see an update sometime in September probably at the earliest since they did a small refresh early this year buy it never hurts to wait if you can. If you just can't wait, the current line of MBPs is really nice so you probably won't be dissappointed. Hope this helps.
     
  4. nayxn2nayxn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #4
    I, too, am waiting to purchase a Macbook Pro and officially making the Apple switch. Likewise, I am also going to start school in September. Rumors have also said new MBPs would be out by July(which i don't think is going to happen). I think realistically, it's going to be August-October due to the time it takes them to even get the chips and have a mass quantity to even be able to sale. I have decided to wait it out and get WHATEVER the next update will be. I realized I am buying a computer not buying an Ipod touch or nano which comes free after rebate. If you're really nervous about them refreshing a new Macbook Pro right after the promotion is over, you could buy it like 2 days before it ends. If they release a new one within 2 weeks, you could be having a new one since the time of shipping will be during that time span or you could return it due to their 14 day policy:D

    However, if you want it now and need it now, here's the question you should ask: why did you want a Macbook Pro in the first place? I know it's human nature to want more, but be happy with your purchase as it surely will be better than what you have BECAUSE MACBOOK PROS ARE AWESOME PERIOD!!!!
     
  5. Vster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2005
    Location:
    Celina, TX
    #5
    I'm also wondering if I should wait...August will be my last month for a edu discount. :(
     
  6. nayxn2nayxn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #6
    I don't think they'll check if you're really in school. As long as you have a student ID. It's kind of like going to the movies with a student ID.

    What model were you looking at?
     
  7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #7
    My vote is when you go to college. :D But I'd do it by end of July...I think.
    Now, if you go to GT then are you automatically an engineer? I've been considering a PhD and if by going to GT means I am automatically something then I want to go there.
    Plus I happen to like the school.
     
  8. skinaked2 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    #8
    NO! dont wait another minute if you are dying to get it. I also am going to be an engineer and i am going to purchase my macbook pro tomorrow, along with a itouch and a printer. the upgrade will not make a big difference and i dont think it will come before the promotion is over. BUY IT NOW!!! ;)
     

Share This Page