When to install the memory

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tommy060289, Jun 20, 2011.

1. tommy060289 macrumors regular

Hey everybody, recently purchased an iMac and waiting for it to arrive so thought I'd join up here.

I've purchased a bto iMac and the only thing I neglected was the memory as I have got 16gb for a quarter of the price apple was going to charge me to install it but I just have a couple of questions.

1. Should I install the ram straight away as I can then leave the protective covers on the screen whilst I change it

Or...

Am I better off starting the mac up and getting every thing out of way set up wise before switching it off and loading the ram in.

Cheers,

Tom

2. simsaladimbamba

It really doesn't matter, but if you want to make sure everything is okay, you can do it later at any time you want, regardless of any setup procedures you have take software-wise.

Strange though, as this question has been asked four times in the last days.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Fire up your iMac first to make sure it works. Use it for a few hours.

Then install the new memory.

4. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

When sun rises in the west, sets in the east. When the seas go dry, when the mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I installed it before booting it up the first time. No problems.

The consensus is that it shouldn't matter when you add it.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Wait until you see what your RAM requirements are. Unless you're going to do some really heavy graphics work etc, you won't need any extra.

It is a common misconception among many of the uninitiated that adding extra RAM is going to result in an increase in performance. This obviously is far from the truth. As said above, it all depends on how you use the machine.

7. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

I also like the approach of using the iMac for 5-7 days. Do yellow screen test, do color calibration tests, do "all ports" tests, etc. etc. Use for 5-7 days before adding more memory. In the rare case that something is wrong with your new iMac and you need to return it, you don't have to remove the newly installed memory simms. This will be my recommendation as well...

8. Objector macrumors member

Nice one! Fantastic final for the first season. :D