When to put SSD and new Ram in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bawsh, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Bawsh macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2012

I'm going to purchase a 15.4" MacBook Pro in a few days and I had some questions. I already have my Samsung 830 256GB SSD and 16GBs of Corsair Mac Memory purchased and on its way to me so now my question is that should I replace the HD and Ram before my first boot or should I do it after I boot up for the first time and start everything up? If I place the SSD and Ram in before I boot it up for the first time, how can I go about installing Lion and everything to get it working?
    Another question I have is if I buy an OptiBay, do I have to use the original HD with it or am I able to purchase my own 1TB 2.5" drive to use with it and would it require any file transferring if I do?
    The last thing is, with an high-res anti-glare display, will the colors on it look better, not as good, or the same as a high-res glossy display?

2. jkeekij macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Always boot first to make sure everything is as it should be, then perform your upgrades.
  3. mrobit macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Glossy display has a higher color saturation. Buying a different hdd for the optibay shouldnt be a problem.