When to replace Charging Port? iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Alveezy, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Alveezy macrumors regular

So tonight when i try to charge my phone. It wouldn't give me the chime sound or it wouldn't even lit up. I tried rebooting it and trying it again and still it won't charge. I did however turn it off then tried booting it with the charger and it boots up but won't charge.

I noticed that there's some pocket lint hanging around the port so i tried to get rid of it with a soft brush. I got most of it off but i see a tiny piece of what seems like a piece of receipt paper. I tried charging it again and switching the cord from the off brand charger to the original charger. None! i started scrubbing it some more with the brush and tried it again but with only the original chord and i fiddled with it side to side and it finally charged! but i have to leave it at whatever it's placed to maintain that charge. It's kind of annoying. I also noticed that it's charging really slow! like 5-8% every 15-20 mins.

Should i replace the charging port now? I found a place in my local area that specialize in replacing that part for $69. My question is...do i have to restore my phone after i get that part replaced? i'm jailbroken on the latest firmware and i wanna do it as soon as possible if anything.

This would've been the 2nd time that the charging port gave out on me...could it be the fault of an off-brand chord? btw these off-brand chords doesn't give me the pop-ups like the cheapy ones.

2. asmith406 macrumors member

I would say it is worth replacing. I had this problem on an older phone of mine and it drove me nuts the way I had to get the charger at just the right angle. There are places online you can buy the part and fix it yourself as well. (ie Gadget Menders where I believe they sell it for around $10).