Other When to replace iPhone batteries?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulesK, Oct 22, 2018.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

I'm responsible for several iPhones used by family members. One a 2-year old iPhone 7 with the battery health down to 84%; that's a no brainer to change by Dec 31 with the $29 pricing. The other is a one year-old 8 Plus with battery health at 94%. Because that phone likely will be kept for 3 years, I plan to wait another 6 months and then replace it, even if it is more expensive. The last is my iPhone X, which is down to 94% (and has been that way for several months); I plan to keep it at least another year.

I know Apple's spec is that a battery is not bad/degraded until it hits 80%, but do folks recommend replacing a battery even if it's only a year old and still above 90% capacity?

2. Shadowbech macrumors 601

For me, even if it was still 90% before 12/31/18, I'd be willing to dish out $29 + tax to get the battery replaced.

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

If you pay for it you can get it done at whatever percentage you want. If you want it free, it needs to be under 80%

4. neteng101 macrumors 65816

It would be better if you could see the cycle count. No excuses I can make for Apple not making this visible on the phone - it would help a lot of people. I do it on the Mac with the phone connected using Coconut Battery - upwards of 500 cycles should be a yes to $29 battery this year.

5. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for this. Sadly, for my phone, I probably go through a complete cycle once a day, easily. So I'll replace the battery on the X; my guess is that the 8 Plus is around 300 or so, so wait on that.

6. seinman macrumors 6502

Under 80%, and still under warranty. If your warranty is expired, the battery health could be 5% but you're not getting that replacement for free.

7. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Yes I agree but, in different parts of the world consumer protection laws are different and extend coverage compared to the U.S.

8. seinman macrumors 6502

Which is why I didn't specify a set time period. That can vary based on country, product, and even part.