Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Can I do it after jailbreaking or should I revert to stock 6.1 first?

I saved it after jailbreaking, but the size of the blob is only about 5kb, which seems way too small...

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Jailbreaking has zero effect on the ability to save SHSH.
Download TinyUmbrella, plug in your phone and hit save.

Only 6.1 SHSH can be saved now.

Will this effect the blob that tiny umbrella saves if it was on 6.0.2 when the SHSH was saved?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
While what AppleJuiced said is correct, there is a distinct possibility that if a tool is developed to allow restoring from 6.1->6.1 using stored SHSHs it will not work on phones that have upgraded OTA. This was the case with the 5.x sidegrade, and the devs have been clear that for the best chances with 6.1 you should not upgrate to 6.1 OTA. While it won't affect the SHSH you save, it may affect your ability to do anything with it.

I would strongly recommend that you backup, restore to 6.1 using iTunes, re-jailbreak, and then restore from your backup.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
While what AppleJuiced said is correct, there is a distinct possibility that if a tool is developed to allow restoring from 6.1->6.1 using stored SHSHs it will not work on phones that have upgraded OTA. This was the case with the 5.x sidegrade, and the devs have been clear that for the best chances with 6.1 you should not upgrate to 6.1 OTA.

I would strongly recommend that you backup, restore to 6.1 using iTunes, re-jailbreak, and then restore from your backup.

In my past jail broken devices cydia has shown saved blobs and I don't see that now. Will cydia still save blobs or do I need to use tiny umbrella to save them on my computer?

----------

While what AppleJuiced said is correct, there is a distinct possibility that if a tool is developed to allow restoring from 6.1->6.1 using stored SHSHs it will not work on phones that have upgraded OTA. This was the case with the 5.x sidegrade, and the devs have been clear that for the best chances with 6.1 you should not upgrate to 6.1 OTA. While it won't affect the SHSH you save, it may affect your ability to do anything with it.

Ok. That's so confusing lol. Do I need do delete the shsh saved on my computer for this device, then restore using iTunes and reuse tiny umbrella?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
In my past jail broken devices cydia has shown saved blobs and I don't see that now. Will cydia still save blobs or do I need to use tiny umbrella to save them on my computer?

Every time his servers get slammed, Saurik takes down the display of saved BLObs to speed up page loads. If your phone was ever on file, it's still on file.

Your past BLObs are still there, but Cydia can no longer get new BLObs. That means that it does not have your 6.1 BLObs. You should save a local copy using TinyUmbrella. You can also use Redsn0w, however, to put your BLObs to the Cydia server as a backup. Search the web for tutorials on saving SHSH BLObs with Reds0w.

Ok. That's so confusing lol. Do I need do delete the shsh saved on my computer for this device, then restore using iTunes and reuse tiny umbrella?

No, the SHSH you've saved is fine. It just will probably not allow you to restore to 6.1 from 6.1-OTA. Get yourself on non-OTA 6.1 by restoring through iTunes, and you'll be fine.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
No, the SHSH you've saved is fine. It just will probably not allow you to restore to 6.1 from 6.1-OTA. Get yourself on non-OTA 6.1 by restoring through iTunes, and you'll be fine.

Thank you! This finally makes sense. The problem is not the shsh, it's the process of downgrading from an ota update to an iTunes restore.

Thanks again. I'll restore through iTunes.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
The problem is not the shsh, it's the process of downgrading from an ota update to an iTunes restore.

Yes. The OTA upgrade actually patches code already on the device rather than replacing the whole operating system. The results are similar, but not identical. Some files are not touched at all and, crucially, it does not use the same code signing techniques. The result is that, at least on 5.x, they could not trick it into accepting firmware restored from iTunes.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden

That's dhlizard.

:D

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Lol:D
I was like did I post anything in this thread?
But yes what thelatinist said.
If you did an OTA juat restore now to 6.1 while you still can.

Will do. Was very confused about the ota and SHSH thing. All makes sense now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.