General When to save SHSH blobs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Luis2004, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Can I do it after jailbreaking or should I revert to stock 6.1 first?

I saved it after jailbreaking, but the size of the blob is only about 5kb, which seems way too small...

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Jailbreaking has zero effect on the ability to save SHSH.
    Download TinyUmbrella, plug in your phone and hit save.

Only 6.1 SHSH can be saved now.

3. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Will this effect the blob that tiny umbrella saves if it was on 6.0.2 when the SHSH was saved?

4. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Perfect! Thanks. Cause I did ota update to 6.1 after using tiny umbrella so just wanted to make sure I didn't need to restore with iTunes to save the blob.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

While what AppleJuiced said is correct, there is a distinct possibility that if a tool is developed to allow restoring from 6.1->6.1 using stored SHSHs it will not work on phones that have upgraded OTA. This was the case with the 5.x sidegrade, and the devs have been clear that for the best chances with 6.1 you should not upgrate to 6.1 OTA. While it won't affect the SHSH you save, it may affect your ability to do anything with it.

I would strongly recommend that you backup, restore to 6.1 using iTunes, re-jailbreak, and then restore from your backup.

6. jredecop macrumors 6502a

In my past jail broken devices cydia has shown saved blobs and I don't see that now. Will cydia still save blobs or do I need to use tiny umbrella to save them on my computer?

----------

Ok. That's so confusing lol. Do I need do delete the shsh saved on my computer for this device, then restore using iTunes and reuse tiny umbrella?

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Every time his servers get slammed, Saurik takes down the display of saved BLObs to speed up page loads. If your phone was ever on file, it's still on file.

Your past BLObs are still there, but Cydia can no longer get new BLObs. That means that it does not have your 6.1 BLObs. You should save a local copy using TinyUmbrella. You can also use Redsn0w, however, to put your BLObs to the Cydia server as a backup. Search the web for tutorials on saving SHSH BLObs with Reds0w.

No, the SHSH you've saved is fine. It just will probably not allow you to restore to 6.1 from 6.1-OTA. Get yourself on non-OTA 6.1 by restoring through iTunes, and you'll be fine.

8. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Thank you! This finally makes sense. The problem is not the shsh, it's the process of downgrading from an ota update to an iTunes restore.

Thanks again. I'll restore through iTunes.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes. The OTA upgrade actually patches code already on the device rather than replacing the whole operating system. The results are similar, but not identical. Some files are not touched at all and, crucially, it does not use the same code signing techniques. The result is that, at least on 5.x, they could not trick it into accepting firmware restored from iTunes.

10. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

That's dhlizard.

:D

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Meh. They're both smart, and I'm lazy.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    I was like did I post anything in this thread?
    But yes what thelatinist said.
    If you did an OTA juat restore now to 6.1 while you still can.

13. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Will do. Was very confused about the ota and SHSH thing. All makes sense now.

14. Luis2004 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies, guys.

And is 5kb too small for a blob?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not small, that's normal.