When to say when...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iriejedi, Mar 23, 2016.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Have a Mac Pro 2008 (3,1) - the age is showing - over the past 2-3 weeks....

new front fan $100
    new memory riser $50
    new memory $150...

now flashing LED light after fan repair... 1 boot and dead.... of course taking it back maybe a lose wire...

I need to learn when to when.... just curious for an 8 year old machine that does everything you need... even plays Starcraft II and Diablo III on Ultra with its 5870 Radeon card.... most 'powerful' thing I need...

given that... when would you throw in the towel...

best answer I heard from a friend was 2013.... my friends don't under stand.... LOL

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

If a shop did this, it's on them to fix it.

If I did this, and I couldn't easily resurrect it, then yes, time for a newer computer. A 2009 would serve you well.

Or you could even get another 3,1, move your 5870, new memory, drives, Wi-Fi card, etc. to the new one, and keep the old 3,1 for spares. (But I'd get the 2009.)

3. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I retired my 3,1 last year. Bought a 4,1 upgraded to a 5,1. I went from 8 cores to 12 with 64GB RAM and nVidia GTX 680. All for less than the entry-level nMP. I use it for work (graphic design and illustration) and other basic stuff.

My old 3,1 is at the secondary desk, being used by the intern and, when he's not in, the little woman. It gets fairly light use now. It's still plugging away without a hitch, and will probably last another 3-5 years at least.

4. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Well its alive again... sad a bad set of dimms can appear to kill it with two good pairs... after trying all possible combinations with 2 risers and 6 DIMMS (3 pairs).... isolated it.... but that is now a second pair dead.... easy to blame heat and a missing fan for first one.... but this one worked with new fan for a while..... so maybe it was it damaged and just failed... or a warning... time will tell... but my wife finally said it is time to put it on hospice care.... with a DNR diagnosis.... (gotta love a good woman like that)....