When to Sell iPad 2 to buy iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonnydowe, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jonnydowe macrumors member

I want maximum money and minimum time without an iPad. When should I sell?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Probably February-early March of 2013.

3. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Now

Only devalues and especially when there's a new model coming out.

4. jonnydowe thread starter macrumors member

I've got iPad 2 32GB WiFi only. In UK, do I eBay it? And how much will it cost for equivalent iPad 3 if you subtract the amount I sell the iPad 2 for?

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

REALLY!?

It depends.

6. TjeuV macrumors 6502

uhm, offcourse nobody know's the prices for the iPad 3 nor when it will be brought out for sale. It's a guess you're taking. You could end up way longer without an iPad then hoped for but if you wait too long you'll get less money ...

I'm not a big fan of selling electronics over the internet because I'm always afraid that there's going to be unpleasand bumps causing trouble/damage.

7. jonnydowe thread starter macrumors member

lol okay bad question but is it possible for my apps and saves to be transferred to new iPad? If I backup iPad 2 can I restore iPad 3 with that?

8. TjeuV macrumors 6502

yes, those apps are linked with your apple ID. So any iDevice you have, you can put the apps you've bought, downloaded onto that.

9. jonnydowe thread starter macrumors member

But my game saves? For example on FIFA 12 I've got a manager mode save. Can I transfer this?

10. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Hm not sure, but I'm guessing if you've made a backup your savegames will still be there.

edit: I'm not sure what the current 2nd hand prices are. Depends on damage/scratches ... but PowerON would give $270 for a 32gig WiFi model so I'm guessing you could get up to 350- maybe 400? for your iPad on 2nd hand market.

11. LeeM macrumors 6502a

I'd say sell it when we actually know there's going to be another iPad.
    Not gonna be fun for everyone whos sold their iPad and all that happens in feb is that they announce the new range of iPad 2's in new 2012 colours or something equally pointless. Then you've been without your iPad for months and have to put more money down to be in a very similar position

We've seen new screens but that might simply be to rearrange the internals to add a 128gb to the lineup? Anything could happen at any time

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Sell it as soon as Apple announces a media event. People looking for an iPad will, mostly, not be aware or the event.

13. greg555 macrumors 6502a

That would be my suggestion too.

14. TjeuV macrumors 6502

I don't know about the media at your place, but in Belgium every newspaper nearly gives new apple devices a spot on the frontpage

15. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I'm talking about the announcement of the media event, not the media event itself. So like the moment Apple sends out media invitations (you will usually read this on macrumors.com or sites like engadget.com), try to sell the iPad 2.

The majority of the people interested in an iPad will only find out about the existence of an iPad 3 when the media event is over (at that point, the media will talk all about the new products announced at such a media event).

16. elizacat macrumors newbie

If you don't want to use eBay you could list it on Gumtree it's free and can probably sell locally without the hassle of eBay. It depends what area you live in how quick it will sell.

17. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

sure, u can

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

eBay (IMO) is all scam now. Every time I try to sell an expensive device, people claim to buy it off me and then send the money through PayPal only to file a claim later with bizarre stories.

19. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

I posted my 32gb Verizon model on eBay today :) I hope it's not too soon to sell. When I sold the original iPad, I sold it like a week before the iPad 2 was announced, I hope that same luck happens again.

20. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I'd wait for all the news blog organizations to get the event notice. Then I'd do it about 2-3 days before the event. Then, you're likely without an iPad for 2-4 weeks.

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I second, NOW!

You iPad 2 will never be worth more than it it today. You must realize that thousands and thousands of people are thinking like YOU and will be selling their iPad before the new device arrives.

The is not rocket science!

22. Defender2010, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Sell it now!!
    I just bought an iPhone 4S and decided to sell my iPad2 now, and got £370, £29.99 less than retail price! Had it since the start of May 2011 so i am chuffed to bits :) I used Gumtree, here in the UK. My iPhone will keep me occupied until iPad 3 get here!
    I guess the media invitations may go out soon, and i decided it was better to avoid the rush of people selling just after the event. The market gets flooded on Gumtree at this time and from experience, one tends to get less for the device then. I sold this one in one day...

23. tdream macrumors 65816

Yeah sync your iPad to iTunes and it will backup your appdata.