when to sell iPad for iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ansabakhan, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i want to sell my iPad on ebay and upgrade to iPad 2 when it comes out .. i was wondering if i should sell it right now before iPad 2 is released to get better $$$ . or just wait till iPad 2 is out , because it doesn't matter as lot of people already know ipad 2 is around the Connor..and they wont pay high $$$ for ipad any more.... is some one else is the same thought process

2. IMaMACnow macrumors newbie

when to sell iPad for iPad 2?

I would want to see what new features it would get. If its only a front facing camera and more RAM + higher processor I may pass. I'd rather wait for a retina-type display and in the iPad 3 or the rumored iPad 2.5 in the fall.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

NOW!!!!! :D

Seriously, wait til the keynote. Then, if you decide to get it, you will have about 2 weeks to get rid of it before the new one is released. The general public won't know about the new one until it is actually released. They don't follow keynotes

4. Donny Jepp macrumors member

But they follow at least one of the thousands of news sources, most of whom will have the announcement of the new iPad.

5. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Yeah, my local news has the results of Apple's keynote the same night.

On the other hand, I think everybody will have their iPad up on eBay as soon as iPad 2 is announced, and they'll sell fast. There are thousands of people who always wait to get the 1st-Gen Apple products when the 2nd-Gen is released. Happens all the time...

In my opinion, I think you should wait till the day of the announcement to put it up on eBay. :)

6. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Get rid of it yesterday. I just got rid of mine. I didn't want to wait for the precipitous drop it's going to take as soon as it us announced. Believe me I miss mine, it's just worth it for me to deal with it and wait. As for people that say it won't be worth it, not sure I agree. The iPad could certainly be faster at rendering web pages, and it is well known how much it could use more ram. Plus, before iPad 3 comes out, you'll have an iPad that's still worth something

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Seriously though.....that's not that many people. It just seems like it is. The country is bigger than u think

8. tod macrumors regular

Now, definitely. I sold my Kindle 2 before the Kindle 3 came out and managed to make back what I spent on it. Had I waited, I would have lost money.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I know a guy who didn't know apple was still a company as of 2008. The general public is clueless in terms of tech.

10. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I agree, most all people won't know about the iPad 2 until it is actually released when they see lines.

11. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

Hope that guy is looking for the 'new' iPad on ebay which just came out (April 2010) !!!

12. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

they put it up on main yahoo.com page these days ... ipad or iphone 4 within few minutes into keynotes it was already making news on yahoo.com main page ..its kinda hard to miss it these days ...

13. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

I would have thought it was too late if you're wanting to maximize your return. Particularly with rumours of ipad price drop.

Everyone's waiting ipad2 now obvs

14. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Now. The price you get will be better, even if it is not the upgrade you want, the difference will be much less.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

He might not have known Apple was a company but I'm sure he knew the word 'ipod".

16. jtcouch macrumors member

I got rid of my 16GB Wifi only model a couple of weeks ago. Sold for $400. I can live without it until the iPad 2 is out.

17. deeddawg, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

This is an interesting question with no specific answer.

Generally I'd say if your goal is to maximize what you can get for your ipad, then start selling it ASAP since getting the best price may require more time to find the right buyer.

Personally though, I've not been big on getting new versions of Apple stuff right out of the gate. I just don't have the "gotta have it now" bug that I did when I was younger.

Things to ponder:
    • Do you tend to get new versions ASAP after release or do you give it a little time for others to find any issues and Apple releases a software update?
    • Will you be buying accessories such as screen protection or a case and what would be the cost savings of letting the aftermarket catch up and prices drop vs. paying full price right off the bat? (might be $20-$50 savings depending on several factors?)
    • How much less would you get for your ipad a month after 2nd gen release vs. right now?
    • What's the value to you of having the ipad on a weekly or monthly basis? $25/mo? $50/mo?

Basically you can take some guesses at how much an upgrade might cost if you sell now vs. sell later, and compare to the value of having the use of the ipad in the interim.

I bought my ipad used via craigslist for a good price not long ago because I'm doing more business travel than previously. I intend to wait and see what the new version brings and then if it seems to be a worthwhile upgrade, I'll likely wait for refurbs to be available.

By then screen protectors and cases should be available for a little less. It may even be that for me the upgrade isn't worth jumping on given my particular usage/needs since I don't do games much and don't need the ipad to have a camera; the only rumored upgrade that would really get my attention would be a "retina" style screen -- which seems unlikely for now.

Even if I'd be $100 ahead selling now vs later, it's worth that to me to have usage of my ipad for the two to four months before I'd upgrade.

YMMV

18. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

Hehe. People still use yahoo?

19. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Sell it now, because you know you will buy iPad 2 regardless of how minor the upgrades might be.

20. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Wait til you know anything about iPad 2

All we have now are rumors, who knows when the next iPad will even come out much less what features it will have.

I sold my iPod touch 3G weeks after the 4g's were already on sale, and still got 200 bucks for it on eBay (32gb). Apple products hold their value like no other. Don't deprive yourself just because you think you might make a few bucks.

21. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

sold mine a few weeks ago...64 Gb 3G on ebay for 700$$
    right now im regretting every second!
    but i know when the new one comes out ill feel so much better.

"who knows when the next iPad will even come out much less what features it will have"

i think its safe to assume that the best selling tablet will have a follow up VERY soon.

but its hard to feel like a winner, when im reloading engadget and macrumors every 20 min. to see if there are any announcements.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't bother reloading engadget or macrumors every 20 minutes. The news of the new iPad isn't going to drop that quick.

Apple will send out an invite for a obtusely worded media event, some two to three weeks into the future. They'll announce their new magical device at that event, with an expected availability date (between immediately and a couple of weeks from the media event).

After that media event, this forum, and the front page of MR will be rife with posts complaining about how apple got it wrong, how the they didn't far enough and many other angry, disappoint threads and posts ;)

For the record, I do not believe the iPad 2 is going to have any major differences between the 1. I think the biggest difference is going to be the camera, and increase in ram. My $.02 is that CPU will remain the same as a single core A4, and the display while thinner will have the same pixel density and resolution.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

In the realm of DSLR camera the model upgrades tend to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. It's been like that for much of the past ten years. Some model changes have brought significant new features (live view, HD video capture) but most of the upgrades from one generation to the next have been refinements and enhancements rather than anything Earth shattering.

In that environment, for most people the best balance between cost and new features seems to come from upgrading every other generation. Some people upgrade each cycle, but that tends to be the more costly strategy.

I wonder if that's what we'll see in the ipad world? From the sounds of the speculation, upgrades will likely be evolutionary. Apart from a camera, I'm not sure there are any groundbreaking features anticipated. A little thinner, a little faster, more RAM, maybe more capacity per price-point, camera. Speaking for myself; that's not worth doing without an ipad for a few weeks.

24. Gryzor macrumors 6502

So don't buy the new one then. I will, and have unarguably a better iPad than you.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you that immature that you need to point out that you have a better ipad.

Who cares, really. I'm content with my purchase and I could care less what you do or don't buy.