Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scar88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
London
Before people make misconceptions I love my iPad, and I am certain to buy the 2g one. I just wanted to know when you guys think it's a decent time to put the current one on sale without it losing to much of it's value? I'm thinking jan? Before the keynote for the 2nd gen.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
There's not going to be a "keynote" for a next gen iPad. It's out there, people know what it does. Apple will not repeat 2010 and make an announcement 3 months before products are available, otherwise nobody will buy the current generation. If a new version comes out in March/April, they'll announce it just before it ships.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I've resold several iPads and consistently get within $50 bucks of new retail. I'm sure I'll upgrade if it has some compelling features to do so, but not really worried about resell. Even if I sell it for $150 under new after a year of use that's cheap as he'll to rent anything. I've bought and sold several matchbooks, iMac's and iPads and have always been amazed how well they resell. I wouldn't lose much sleep over selling a 1st gen iPad. Some is always looking for a bargain.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think selling your iPad just before the holidays would be strategic and get you the most money. At that point the next generation iPad shouldn't be far off.

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
If yiu're happy to spend $600 or whatever on an iPad in the first place, and you say you like it so presumably do actually use it regularly, why sell it 3-4 mons before its replacement (which may offer nothing interesting as an upgrade) just to save $50?

Keep it, enjoy it, and when it's replaced it'll maybe end up having cost you $150 in depreciation. But at least you've then had a year to enjoy it.

Incidentally, i've never noticed a sharp drop in the price of things like iPhones when they've been replaced. Sure, there's a lot more of them, but the price never seems much lower than secind hand ones have been selling for months before.

David

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I agree with what's been said already about selling around the holidays, that'll probably be the best time. After that, obviously any time before an official announcement is made.

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
Now is a good time to sell. People are paying very close to list price for used models. But it looks like production capacity has ramped up. When the scarcity of the past eases the price will drop a bit.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There's not going to be a "keynote" for a next gen iPad. It's out there, people know what it does. Apple will not repeat 2010 and make an announcement 3 months before products are available, otherwise nobody will buy the current generation. If a new version comes out in March/April, they'll announce it just before it ships.
People knew what the 3G iPhone was and there was a keynote for the 3GS. There will always be a keynote but assuming no one forgets the new iPad in public the keynote will happen when Apple wants it to happen.

Several ipads? They have only been out for a few months. Why have u gone thru several?
Maybe he's addicted to the new gadget smell.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Now is a good time to sell. People are paying very close to list price for used models. But it looks like production capacity has ramped up. When the scarcity of the past eases the price will drop a bit.

There are ample supplies available now. Otherwise you wouldn't see any at Target and Amazon. You can walk into an Apple store and pick one up.

scar88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
London
If he was he wouldn't be willing to live without an iPad for several months just to make a few more dollars on a sale.

I must admit it would be weird being without my iPad, but I want to buy a mac mini or iMac so would need to sell and get a decent price

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
If that's the case now is the time to sell. You need the money to finance a purchase for something else.

Others have stated already that Target,Walmart, BestBuy & Amazon will being selling them and don't forget Apple. The supply seems to up to support demand. Also Apple is selling refurbs now so depending on which model you have you'll have to price accordingly.

If you have the basic 16GB you may have to price it under $450 which is the price of a refurb and you also get the 1yr warranty with that. Taxes may be what saves you though...

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Since all of the electronics I buy are investments, I plan on keeping mine along with all of the original packaging, and I'll sell it in about 10 years for a huge profit. I'm gonna be rich!

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
As much as I like to use stuff, sell it for the most money, then upgrade to something newer. I'd just suggest waiting until you see them announce it.

scar88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
London
cheers guys, ive got the 32gig ipad, if i can get around £400 when the new ones annouced ill be happy.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Ipad came out in april. The next gen will determine the month new ipads will come out every year. It won't be january considering its immediately after the holidays. Feb or march are a mayhbe. While by april it'll def. Be out. I plan on selling my ipad in february

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
A month ahead of new release and prepare to pay two hundred dollar difference. Don't expect a new release until April/May.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.