When to Sell my 15.4" 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LaNina, Apr 4, 2012.

1. LaNina macrumors newbie

I have a MBP model MB471LL/A. I am looking to get the new MBP (whenever it is that it comes out.)

I just bought a new iPad and think it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if i went without my MBP for a month or 2 (MAX). I am no longer a student, and work full time so my MBP doesn't get much attention with my my iPad.

My question is, if I want to get top dollar for my MBP, should I sell it now? What do you all think?

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Its value will never increase. The longer you hold onto that computer, the more it depreciates.

You'll never get top dollar for a 4 year old laptop, but you'll get more selling it today than you will 3 months from now.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Today, or atlest before the next refresh ever refresh lowers the value of its previous models, since you can gaurantee when the refresh will happen today is safer than tomorrow

4. LaNina thread starter macrumors newbie

For top dollar, I just meant getting as much as I possibly could. I've watched about 5 go on eBay for around $700-750. Mine has some scratching on the bottom and some discoloration on the aluminum on the sides of the track pad, but i have a Moshi Palm-rest on it. Although, most of the ones I've seen sell on eBay have not been perfect either.

I know as soon as there is a solid rumor or speculated date of when the new models will come out the price will drop around $150 since A LOT of people will be selling their 4 year old MBs to upgrade. I will most likely wind up listing it sometime this week.

5. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I sold my early 2008 pre-unibody 15" MBP for $900 in December via Craigslist.

It was in mint condition and the sale included a RadTech keyboard protector and a like-new Waterfield designs sleevecase. It took about two months before I was contacted by a serious buyer.

6. LaNina thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Thats SOLID! straight cash would be nice to have over dealing with eBay also. Ill list it on there for the time being. Thanks!

7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

You're welcome. The person who finally purchased my MBP obviously had the money (it was a Christmas present for a granddaughter or niece), the phone conversation was straight-forward and he had his own war stories about Craigslist lowball buyers. I delivered the computer to his very nice house a few miles from where I live.

Just be patient and don't waste your time with people who aren't serious. Any e-mail that reads "Is the item still for sale?" is most likely a scam. Low-ball offers from people who haven't seen the MBP are also time-wasters. Serious messages usually mention the item and perhaps include a question.

I also have all Craigslist buyers sign a receipt with their address. Here it is:

Date: 16 December 2011

Item: Apple MacBook Pro 15” 2.4GHz 4GB RAM

Serial Number: WXXXXXXXXXX

Accessories: AC Charger, Waterfield Designs Sleevecase, RadTech Screen Protector, NewerTech Battery, Apple Battery, Original Box

Sale Price: $900 Cash

Terms of Sale: This item is sold “as-is”. The buyer has carefully inspected the item and agrees that it is in good working order and is in the advertised condition, with all the accessories listed above included.

I have inspected the item and by signing this receipt I accept the Terms of Sale.

Photos of the computer seem to be a good idea. I got a lot of requests for images of my iMac; in the future I will be sure to include photos.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.