When to sell my iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonnydowe, Nov 27, 2011.

1. jonnydowe macrumors member

I'm planning on buying and iPad 3 and currently have and iPad 2 32gb WiFi. When will be the best time to put my current iPad on eBay for maximum profit and as little time without an iPad as possible?

Thanks

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

the day before they announce the ipad 3. but, no one knows when that will be, so you'll probably want to wait until the announcement, put it on sale, lose a lot of money, and get rid of it before the ipad 3 goes on sale. when the ipad 3 goes on sale, the ipad 2 will be going new for something around 350 (about 150 off), so don't expect to get more than that for a 16gb model, or 450 for the 32gb :(

3. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

You should know by reading the frontpage of this forum when a new event is going to take place. I would sell it a few days before that. As long as you sell it before the iPad 3 officially gets announced you should be good.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Several months ago

5. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Right Now!

Good luck getting a good resale price with the invites

6. notjustgc macrumors 6502

Would you pay $100+ to rent an iPad for one week?

If not, sell it right now, because that's roughly how much value your iPad will instantly lose on Wednesday afternoon. Learned from experience and sold mine at the end of last week for a mighty nice sum of cash. :cool:

7. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

It will not be that bad. I can trade in an ipad 1 16gb to Amazon for $290. If you are smart the most it might cause you is $20.

8. notjustgc macrumors 6502

To be fair, you're right - the trade-in value will not take that huge of a hit... but then, you'll get a lot more if you sell it directly to another user. THAT value will be the most severely effected by the official announcement. I watched it all happen last year when I waited one day too late to sell my 1st-gen iPad.

9. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I think you bring up a good point. Some people still get top dollar for the device after the annoucement. I sold my 16gb Ipad after the Ipad 2 keynote for $420 on ebay with case and all original packaging. The problem I had is I used my ipad as my office and did not get a launch ipad 2. It really caused me some frustrations one being my wife wanting to play angry birds...lol

I buy a new ipad every year and sell the old one. I lose about $120 on the device but I never have to buy a warranty so it really doesnt cost me much to upgrade.

10. iCando macrumors newbie

If you have to play the guess games of when to sell your iPad in order to maximise your sale price for $50-$80 more then maybe you shouldn't own an iPad.

Playing these silly guesstimation games is pointless. The price of an iPad will diminish as soon as the next one is announced.. between the time it's announched and actually released you're looking a 4-6 weeks. Suppose you get the timing down precisely, and you sell it the day before announchement. Is it worth the $100 for you to be without your iPad for 4-6 weeks?

Personally me no.

With regards to hiring, that's also a bad move. I've actually hired an ipad before with this company: http://www.rentaltablets.co.uk. I needed it for business use to collect customer details at a business event. I only needed it for 3 days, so it was worthwile. But renting is not really a "affordable" option for end user use.